La Peppina out of the box

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Lvx

#1: Post by Lvx »

Hello lever fanatic ! :wink:
this is my last lucky purchasing : one la Peppina in mint condition, coming directly from the past (the invoice said 1972...).

unfortunately the cap was missing, but i've already find a nice sustitute (no pics ).

The lever is very hard to be pulled down , the other lever machine need less force; i believe it's the spring , stronger than the average. Am i right?

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

God that's nice.
And yes it's true that Peppina's spring is a biggie.
I think the Peppina was specifically designed to house a commercial size spring in a domestic machine. To cock that spring, a longer lever is needed, which is too high for the average kitchen if the piston is above the portafilter.
Only the Peppina, Comocafe(which basically is a Peppina) and Francois' mystery machine have such a configuration (at least the machines i know of).
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

grong

#3: Post by grong »

Wow, Lvx! Congratulations on the beautiful La Peppina.

Lvx (original poster)

#4: Post by Lvx (original poster) »

Bluecold wrote:God that's nice.
And yes it's true that Peppina's spring is a biggie.
I think the Peppina was specifically designed to house a commercial size spring in a domestic machine. To cock that spring, a longer lever is needed, which is too high for the average kitchen if the piston is above the portafilter.
Only the Peppina, Comocafe(which basically is a Peppina) and Francois' mystery machine have such a configuration (at least the machines i know of).
that's a monster truck suspension :mrgreen:
maybe i'll do another (homemade) lever.
if you take a look at my blog, i was shocked about the weight of the portafilter. what''s made of ? chocolate? wood? crazy :shock:

Bluecold

#5: Post by Bluecold »

The pf is made from chromed aluminium, just like the group. Also, it _is_ possible to knock the puck out without losing the basket. It takes a bit of practice and/or heat resistant hands.

PS. Do you have an higher resolution scan of that manual?
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Adrock

#6: Post by Adrock »

Congrats on your purchase, Lvx. I've really enjoyed my La Peppina. Aside from the occasional choking, I've found it operates quite smoothly and intuitively. I haven't had any problems with the spring lever. Beautifully simple. And such a rare jewel to get one in mint condition! Again, congrats.

espressme

#7: Post by espressme »

Congratulations! They are a wonderful little machine. They are especially nice for roasts which may require a specific water temperature. Also they are great to find the set-up water temperature that you will use on a fancier machine. FWW, they sold in the USofA for over $700 when new. :shock: There are many threads on H-B for info about, and how to use them.
Rebuild info:HERE
Cheers
-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

hudsterboy
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by hudsterboy »

Wow!
I picked up a used one a few weeks ago for $20, but it certainly wasn't as nice an shiny as yours! I'm sure you didn't have a family of roaches living in yours, either.

Looking at your pictures of the inside of the kettle, I see a difference between yours and mine. Is that a wing-nut holding the screen over the heating element? I have a long post where the cap screws in. Maybe that's why you're missing the cap? I don't use the cap anyway. I keep it open and have a thermometer in to get the temp.

Lvx (original poster)

#9: Post by Lvx (original poster) »

Bluecold wrote: PS. Do you have an higher resolution scan of that manual?
here we are !

Lvx (original poster)

#10: Post by Lvx (original poster) »

espressme wrote:Congratulations! They are a wonderful little machine. They are especially nice for roasts which may require a specific water temperature. Also they are great to find the set-up water temperature that you will use on a fancier machine. FWW, they sold in the USofA for over $700 when new. :shock: There are many threads on H-B for info about, and how to use them.
Rebuild info:HERE
Cheers
-Richard
Sorry Richard, what do you mean with FWW ? 700 $ for a Peppina new? i will box it again right now ! :mrgreen:

Lucio