La Peppina out of the box - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
timo888

#11: Post by timo888 »

Bluecold wrote:I think the Peppina was specifically designed to house a commercial size spring in a domestic machine. To cock that spring, a longer lever is needed, which is too high for the average kitchen if the piston is above the portafilter.
Only the Peppina, Comocafe(which basically is a Peppina) and Francois' mystery machine have such a configuration (at least the machines i know of).
Not quite commercial, but heftier than other domestic springs for sure.

Bluecold

#12: Post by Bluecold »

YES! Thanks for the manual Lvx!
I'm going to print it out and tape it to the wall behind the Peppina :D

@timo888, that's why i said commercial size spring and not "commercial spring". Evil marketingspeak, i know. I think that the PF would just break off with the 14 bars of a true commercial spring.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

espressme

#13: Post by espressme »

Lvx wrote:Sorry Richard, what do you mean with FWW ? 700 $ for a Peppina new? i will box it again right now ! :mrgreen:
Lucio
Hi Lucio,
For What it is Worth: That is the price charged during the 60's and 70's when the machines were newly introduced into this country.
-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

Bluecold

#14: Post by Bluecold »

HOLY SHlT! THAT WOULD BE AT LEAST 4000 DOLLAR IN TODAYS MONEY!
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Lvx (original poster)

#15: Post by Lvx (original poster) »

espressme wrote:Hi Lucio,
For What it is Worth: That is the price charged during the 60's and 70's when the machines were newly introduced into this country.
-Richard
price updated :mrgreen:
anyhow a lot of money... i wonder which was the price in Italy in those days :?:

IMAWriter

#16: Post by IMAWriter »

Beautiful machine. Her lever always reminds me of the floor mounted gear shift on a 1960's school bus!

simonarcher

#17: Post by simonarcher »

Lvx wrote:Hello lever fanatic ! :wink:
this is my last lucky purchasing : one la Peppina in mint condition, coming directly from the past (the invoice said 1972...).
<image>

unfortunately the cap was missing, but i've already find a nice sustitute (no pics ).
<image>

The lever is very hard to be pulled down , the other lever machine need less force; i believe it's the spring , stronger than the average. Am i right?

<image>
<image>
Hi there -- just wondering what lid substitute you found? I have a pepppina without a lid too and I'm hunting around for parts, not easy to find, so interested in substitutes. I know Doug has one option at orphanespresso - what did you use?

Thanks, sa
SA - LMWDP #217 - Toronto

CRCasey

#18: Post by CRCasey »

I am looking for a lid gasket for the La Peppina, It was made to make some steam but without that seal on the lid the steamer is useless (and I am not expecting much either with the seal). I have measured the lid at 100mm, but it would need a lip fit on the lid with an over seal. Anyone know of a place to get someting like this made? I have asked Doug and Barb and they have no replacment.
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

yakster
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by yakster »

I was lucky enough that my La Peppina came with this gasket. I took some approximate measurements with my micrometer tonight in case this is any help. The outside edge of the gasket is tapered to match the shape of the kettle at the top. I'll try a little ASCII diagram to illustrate:

========(gasket)
\\ ______________________(lid)
\\
======(gasket)

The gasket at it's widest measured 103 mm and it went down to 101 mm at the narrower end of the taper (bottom). The inside diameter of the part of the gasket that overlaps the top and bottom of the lid is about 87 mm and the thickness of the gasket is about 6 mm.

I didn't take the gasket off to make any measurements. I'm going to wait until I have some Dow 111 lube before I remove the gasket again.

Looking at this some more, it looks like you should be able to get away with just placing a 4" flat round gasket between the top of the kettle and the vaporizer lid and then you could just tighten the vaporizer sandwiching the gasket between the kettle and the lid. I found a site (http://www.brewerygaskets.com) that seems to carry these for brewing tanks (pretty close application) as well as some manway gaskets for tank doors that if you could get made a custom size (or cut down and superglue) would fit around the lid like the original gasket. Check out their 4" clamp gaskets and their manway gaskets. There's probably other places to pick up a 4" round gasket that you could use to sandwich between the vaporizer and the kettle.

Right now I'm trying to dial in the single basket for dose and grind with Ritual's Snowcone. My last shot was 7.5 g, almost to the top of the basket and it seemed to pull pretty well. I was surprised that I could fit that much in the basket as I was sticking to 12 g doses for the double basket.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by yakster »

CRCasey wrote:I am looking for a lid gasket for the La Peppina, It was made to make some steam but without that seal on the lid the steamer is useless (and I am not expecting much either with the seal). I have measured the lid at 100mm, but it would need a lip fit on the lid with an over seal.
Cecil,

It looks like Doug and Barb have done it again... I was looking at the La Peppina parts page (shopping for seals and gaskets that I'll eventually have to change) and noticed this steam lid replacement gasket.

Worth a look.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272