La Pavoni vs Ponte Vecchio and others - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Starguru (original poster)

#41: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

I just got my robot. Any recommendations for a starter recipe for tomorrow? I have a dedicated espresso blend, and some medium roasts from a roaster that says all their coffees are suitable for espresso (Black and White in the US).

drgary
Team HB

#42: Post by drgary »

I typically use 16 gm of medium roasted coffee and pull all the way through. I use 207°F and suggest using the overpour method to heat the basket and portafilter. Use your tastebuds from there, which will tell you whether that temperature is sufficient. Some people use water just off the boil. Lighter roasts will need more of the thorough preheating that others have suggested.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Jeff
Team HB

#43: Post by Jeff »

I'd also start with the "espresso blend". B&W has been pretty solid for me at 1:2 to 1:2.5 or so. No need to add additional complication to your first experiences. Enjoy!

(My local boiling point is around 208° F, so I'm at about the same temperatures.)

#44: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

How much pressure do I want to use? Also, where do I put these paper filters, and are they even needed?

DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by DoubleR »

Do you have the barista version with a pressure gauge? I'd suggest pulling at around 3-4 bar for 3-5 seconds and the. Ramp up to 8 bar during the infusion stage and dropping it back down toward the end.

The papers should go on top of the puck between the puck and metal filter.
LMWDP #755

#46: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

Wow, getting up to 8bar has been a challenge. My first 2 shots it didn't get above 3 bar. I had to go much finer than for my Bambino. The last shot I tried, I was basically using all my body weight and couldn't get it above 6. I'm not the strongest guy in the world, but let's just say I can do some pushups. I'll reduce dose to 16 and go a bit coarser and try again this afternoon.

Jeff
Team HB

#47: Post by Jeff »

6-7 bars is plenty

The amount of force required to get to a certain pressure is just the mechanics of the machine. If you're not comfortable, try shifting your position to be more above the machine.

The papers are optional. I don't use them.

#48: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

Yeah I have it in a place where I can easily get to 6-7 bar. Hmm the espresso blend I have isn't very good, but the beans are on the older end of the range. Doesn't seem to taste that different from my bambino.

Oddly, the first shot I pulled was the sweetest, but I don't think I ever got above 3 bar.

Another issue is my scale won't fit so I can't get accurate measurement out.

Gonna regroup with the BW tomorrow.

Jeff
Team HB

#49: Post by Jeff »

Yeah, it's about 96 mm as I recall, and most scales start at 100 mm or so.

I've got a MAXUS that does a reasonable job for US$10-15. It is sold under a bunch of different names, Weightman, Joe Frex, ... with the buttons in slightly different order or a different color. One thread on options is Mini scale for Cafelat Robot

You can also just get "close enough" by eye in the same cup and weigh afterwards. Shocking that someone that runs a DE1 would say that, I know. 36 g in a typical espresso cup looks a lot different than 45 g.

Looks like there's one that is $6.99 even. I can't guarantee it, but it sure looks like MAXUS, Weightman, "Latest Version" and the $6.99 one (and probably more down the search list) are all the same manufacturer.

Edit: The $6.99 one is non-returnable and marked "overstock", so that might be a bit more of a gamble.