La Pavoni vs Ponte Vecchio and others - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sympa

#31: Post by sympa »

ei8htohms wrote:Stainless piston sleeve (with front-aligned inlet hole), Bong Isolator, Piston Pressure Kit with (customized) Airbuster, double switch with dual pressostat (low pressure brewing, high pressure steaming), Nixie tube grouphead thermometer (with hygrometer), extended single-hole steam wand tip, stainless sight glass cover (purely aesthetic), stainless drip tray cover (aesthetic), bottomless portafilter, IMS baskets and shower screen.

It's a hobby.
I'm buying most of the things you listed. Incredibly, the cost of all the add-ons equals the cost of the machine! A 579 euro Europiccola (from espressocoffeeshop) becomes a 1200 euro Europiccola with everything added on.

Honestly, the state of the (direct) lever market is frustrating. There's a lot of options between $400-1000 and then a massive gap until you hit the Strietman at $2500.

Starguru (original poster)

#32: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

I was set on the Robot, but prima coffee, the only place to get one new in the US is out of the model with the gauge and doesn't know when they'll get them back. Evidently Cafelat moved and isn't producing units or something like that?

Anyway, back to square one?

Jeff
Team HB

#33: Post by Jeff »

They come up used reasonably often

baldheadracing
Team HB

#34: Post by baldheadracing »

coffeeaddicts.ca and cafune.ca have stock of Robots and both ship to the USA. coffeeaddicts has free shipping to the USA and cafune charges $10CAD flat for shipping to the USA. I guess which depends on who has stock of the colour you want. I've bought from both stores.

Cafelat moved back to the UK recently and is producing again
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

espressotime

#35: Post by espressotime »

sympa wrote:I'm buying most of the things you listed. Incredibly, the cost of all the add-ons equals the cost of the machine! A 579 euro Europiccola (from espressocoffeeshop) becomes a 1200 euro Europiccola with everything added on.

Honestly, the state of the (direct) lever market is frustrating. There's a lot of options between $400-1000 and then a massive gap until you hit the Strietman at $2500.
I'm ve got Chinese drivers in my loudspeakers that cost 450 euros.The baffles they are put in cost twice as much.Simple peace of mdf would probably work too and cost 30 euros.
It really is a hobby and a nice wooden tamper feels better than a pepper container that fits the basket .I' ve tried both. :mrgreen:

lassepavoni

#36: Post by lassepavoni »

ei8htohms wrote:Stainless piston sleeve (with front-aligned inlet hole), Bong Isolator, Piston Pressure Kit with (customized) Airbuster, double switch with dual pressostat (low pressure brewing, high pressure steaming), Nixie tube grouphead thermometer (with hygrometer), extended single-hole steam wand tip, stainless sight glass cover (purely aesthetic), stainless drip tray cover (aesthetic), bottomless portafilter, IMS baskets and shower screen.

Uuuh, sexy 8) . Been thinking about doing something like that for myself, too. You'll definitively have to post a picture once you've joined the infamous Lever Machine World Domination Plot here: LMWDP Rollcall!
Regards, Lasse
LMWDP #744

drgary
Team HB

#37: Post by drgary »

It's a hobby.
Or, first generation Europiccola where you can remove the shower screen, temperature strip on the group, and learn the technique to use half pumps to come up to temperature. Also take sufficient preinfusion time to eliminate the air pocket above the coffee, aka spongy pulls. The High/Low settings for steaming can't be beat, and the shot pulling is very consistent. Build quality is rock solid. The boiler doesn't flex on the base when you push the lever, and all but the last ones have an aluminum base, so it won't rust. That would be versions 1.6 and 1.7 or a machine where the removable shower screen is a (common) modification. If it doesn't have a pressure gauge, you can attach one to the steam wand to tune the pressure release valve.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by DoubleR »

baldheadracing wrote:coffeeaddicts.ca and cafune.ca have stock of Robots and both ship to the USA.
This. I just ordered from cafune.ca, and they were great. I live in Florida and I placed the order to them on Nov 10. After placing the order I asked if it could be expedited because I am going to visit my sister during Thanksgiving late next week and want to have the Robot available for travel. They gave me the option to expedite over night for an extra $8. I took it and it arrived today, Nov 11 - amazing service. I also ordered four Loveramics cups.

LMWDP #755
★ Helpful

drgary
Team HB

#39: Post by drgary »

Congratulations!

I concur with an earlier comment that a very light roast will need preheating of the piston. That roast level has very little caramelization. But I decided long ago to match the coffee to the brewing device so that it's a no-fuss routine with delicious results. You might want to start with something medium that will have origin flavors and some development that you'll taste as caramelized flavors like chocolate.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

peacecup

#40: Post by peacecup »

Once upon a time:
A Pavoni Pro and a Ponte Vecchio Export

That Export would still be going strong if I had not run the boiler dry and caused a weld to fail. Since then I've had three others, two Samas and a new 2nd hand PV Lusso. Not much to go wrong with these machines and all will likely pass to the next generation to make great espresso
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."