La Pavoni vs Ponte Vecchio and others - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Starguru (original poster)
Posts: 79
Joined: 9 months ago

#11: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

RyanP wrote:The La Pavoni is a machine full of compromises, ime. I found it a frustrating experience and it didn't last very long on my counter. The strietman isn't perfect, but it gets a lot of things right. Better piston design meaning no vacuum effect on the puck when lifting the lever and less air between piston and puck. Larger shot volume capable of 1:3 ratios. Open boiler and saturated group design for good temp precision and back to back shot temp stability.

I do wish it had a small external temp readout somewhere, or even better, a PID. I currently use a thermapen to check water temp if I'm not sure. It's a small compromise for me, but an upgrade I'd be pretty happy about if Wouter ever decides to address it. Beyond that, there are the two obvious points of price and no steam. Some people may be put out by the 49mm group, but to me it's a plus. After 5+ years of use I'm hard pressed to come up with any other complaints beyond the temp control/read out.
thanks for your thoughts. Using a thermapen to check temp seems trivially easy no? As a beginner, is a pressure read out helpful, if not essential, to get a feel for how hard to pull?

RyanP
Posts: 871
Joined: 8 years ago

#12: Post by RyanP replying to Starguru »

Yea, it's not a big deal. It's nitpicking, but it is also a workflow kink that I think could be improved.

Another improvement of the CT2 over the La Pavoni that I forgot to mention is that there is virtually no risk of portafilter sneeze. As soon as the shot is pulled you can remove the portafilter. You can even remove the portafilter once you've reached desire weight and then push the rest of the water through to clear the shower screen.

As you put it, a pressure gauge is helpful but not essential. You can probably find a used naked pressure gauge to try for awhile and get a feel for the force necessary to pull at different pressures and to also pull consistently through the entirety of the shot.

Starguru (original poster)
Posts: 79
Joined: 9 months ago

#13: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

Slightly off topic, but other than the 'Buy/Sell' forum here, are there good resources for pre-owned gear?

sympa
Posts: 135
Joined: 1 year ago

#14: Post by sympa »

Out of curiosity, why do you like the 49mm basket so much?

User avatar
baldheadracing
Team HB
Posts: 6280
Joined: 9 years ago

#15: Post by baldheadracing replying to sympa »

Opinions vary, but some say bed depth affects taste. As an example, one could get roughly the same bed depth from a:
- 7.5g dose in a 41mm VST-7; and a
- 12g dose in a 49mm Strietman IMS 14g (I'm referring to the baskets that Strietman sells, not the machine); and a
- 15g dose in a 58mm VST-15.
OTOH, 20g in a 49mm IMS B582TH29E is going to have a thicker bed than 20g in a 58mm VST-20.

The rules-are-made-to-be-broken dividing line for straight-sided baskets that I just made-up :wink: is 17g for medium-light and lighter roasts. Over 17g dose is 58mm territory; under 17g is 49mm/51mm baskets; both with some overlap.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

User avatar
drgary
Team HB
Posts: 14373
Joined: 14 years ago

#16: Post by drgary »

@Starguru: what are your espresso preferences, including preferred roast level? That makes a difference in your choices.

The Robot, for example: If you like medium and darker roasts, there is no need for preheating. Medium-light roast preheating is accomplished with an easy overpour technique. See the review. And there's an advantage to heating externally, which is ultra-fast warm-up time. It's one of my daily drivers and pulls shots comparable to my commercial lever, and it's so simple that maintenance is minimal.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

espressotime
Posts: 1751
Joined: 14 years ago

#17: Post by espressotime »

sympa wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you like the 49mm basket so much?
Espresso forums are were I got all my Ponte Vecchio's.
People tend to give up on them pretty soon.Never paid more than 350 euros for nearly new ones.

Starguru (original poster)
Posts: 79
Joined: 9 months ago

#18: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

drgary wrote:@Starguru: what are your espresso preferences, including preferred roast level? That makes a difference in your choices.

The Robot, for example: If you like medium and darker roasts, there is no need for preheating. Medium-light roast preheating is accomplished with an easy overpour technique. See the review. And there's an advantage to heating externally, which is ultra-fast warm-up time. It's one of my daily drivers and pulls shots comparable to my commercial lever, and it's so simple that maintenance is minimal.
I have a bambino; I haven't really branched out for medium and dark roasts from local roasters.

I think I'm going to get a robot. It's a relatively small investment to see if I like it. The Lh review on it warned to always preheat the chamber except for dark roast, buts it's trivial as I need to boil anyway, so just put it on the kettle....


But I am looking at Pre owned Creminas :). Just because.

Starguru (original poster)
Posts: 79
Joined: 9 months ago

#19: Post by Starguru (original poster) »

espressotime wrote:Espresso forums are were I got all my Ponte Vecchio's.
People tend to give up on them pretty soon.Never paid more than 350 euros for nearly new ones.
Do you have a link? Google isn't showing anything when I search for "espresso forums". There is a "coffee forums" but I'm not seeing any for sale boards.

User avatar
drgary
Team HB
Posts: 14373
Joined: 14 years ago

#20: Post by drgary »

Starguru wrote:I have a bambino; I haven't really branched out for medium and dark roasts from local roasters.

I think I'm going to get a robot. It's a relatively small investment to see if I like it. The Lh review on it warned to always preheat the chamber except for dark roast, buts it's trivial as I need to boil anyway, so just put it on the kettle....


But I am looking at Pre owned Creminas :). Just because.
That's the LH review. I was asked to do a review on Home-Barista by Paul Pratt when he was introducing it.

Cafelat Robot Review
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!