La Pavoni Stradivari leak under base.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Just noticed water standing under the machine so emptied and took the base off after cooling to room temp of course Appears to be a leak from pressure stat to boiler. Is that just a quick swap out or do I need to do take the boiler apart to service it?
Edit.
The pressure stat was working. Seems to only leak when at pressure.
Looking at the diagram it doesn't look like a gasket or oring in that fitting to boiler. So should just be able to remove, descale the brass fittings and replace. This is my theory. YouTube hasn't shown much help. Hoping someone will chime in and confirm before I start. Is there any added bits like lube or special oil etc for that fitting?

Going to go the rebuild route with it, new base boiler rebuild etc. Just not yet if I can help it. Been buying the tools over time. The boiler tools are all I haven't bought yet and are substantial in price. Hoping I can get it functional until I can get the new base and rebuild parts
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#2: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Digging to old threads pretty much telling me it's a boiler leak and not the Pstat. So yeah rebuild on horizon. Knew it was going to come.
Just need the tools and gaskets etc.

New base looks like coffee sensor going to be my only option. Not seeing any stateside.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

A picture of your leak can help addressing the issue a little more clearly,
we for example have pavoni parts in stock like many others US vendors and so are videos on youtube.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

#4: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Meant to earlier just forgot as I was down a rabbit hole.

I had seen a little drip on the Pstat pipe as I was getting the base apart and thought that must be it. But there was water in the base, so could have just be my jostling. Hadn't used it knowing it had issues but have fixed the known stuff recently. Mostly. Still haven't got the steam arm assembly done, but that is me waiting for my nephew to free time out of his new dad schedule. So it was leaking still but I thought I had it under wraps with a steam pitcher under the steam wand. Saw a little water the other day but I had knocked the steam pitcher over so thought that was that. Obviously not.

And Stefano. Thanks. Your company has kept my machine in parts for 15 years now. You will see another order soon for everything but the base unless you do have a Stradivari base on hand in which case it will be the whole gammut.

The Stradivari can stand to be unused for a bit longer, I have another pro pavoni to keep me in espresso.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

slowpod

#5: Post by slowpod »

Looks exactly like the problem I had recently with the Gaggia Factory. I did replace the base, but after taking the base apart I realised only the seal (between the base and the boiler) needs replacing. The rest of the base was perfectly okay, just need a bit of cleaning. I would suggest have a look at replacing the seal first, it is cheap and reasonably easy to do.

#6: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Found the leak. It's right by the back boiler nut.

By rebuild I mean I am going to pull it apart, clean it, and put it back together with new o rings, gaskets, seals, and other parts as needed. Seems the best going forward. It's been pulling shots for fifteen years like the a champ, but I really feel like I am chasing one issue after another and that usually means an overhaul is in order.

I just need to get the bits and two more of the tools and I will be set to start.

As far as the base rusting. I will try to clean it up and put it back in service but haven't really come across a protection method I like for post rusted bases. Going to keep looking for others before deciding.
If I do I will go that route first as it will be much cheaper.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110