La Pavoni Shower Screen Popping Off - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
chrisargar (original poster)

#11: Post by chrisargar (original poster) »

Well I'm back after a week because my shower screen popped off again during a flush this morning. I'm probably ordering a new gasket just so I can eliminate that factor. Unfortunately I'm away from home for most of March so my troubleshooting time is going to be pretty limited. I'm hoping for a few days of tinkering mid-March to figure this out (again).

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

chrisargar wrote:I'm probably ordering a new gasket just so I can eliminate that factor. Unfortunately I'm away from home for most of March so my troubleshooting time is going to be pretty limited. I'm hoping for a few days of tinkering mid-March to figure this out (again).
Good idea. I think it may also be worthwhile to buy a new shower screen. Either a stock or perhaps a new 'precision' IMS screen that is available for these machines.

Yours appears to be restricting flow, only allowing it out in pinpoint jets while the lever is held at the top. It may be clogged and can be improved with a good cleaning, or may be clogged with silica that can't be removed, or perhaps was a manufacturing defect. Easy to rule that out with a new screen.

Image below is a snap from your video:

And below is a video of flow thru an IMS screen, which looks similar to what you should also get from a stock screen:
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#13: Post by chrisargar (original poster) »

I was able to source an IMS shower screen before I had to leave town but the new gasket won't be in until later. Here's the first flush from it. It hasn't popped out (yet) but I noticed the flow is pretty different from the video homeburrero linked. It looks less even and there's lots of little jets spraying in all directions. Wonder if I've stumbled onto something bigger. Maybe I need to fiddle with the piston sleeve? I didn't touch it except to lube the interior during my rebuild.

guijan12

#14: Post by guijan12 »

This looks pretty normal to me.
Mine also sprays like that (IMS). :mrgreen:
Regards,

Guido

homeburrero
Team HB

#15: Post by homeburrero »

Your flow with the new screen looks fine to me. Note that most of it is coming out in heavy flows rather than pinpoint spritzes. Just for another comparison I filmed mine -- at 1 Bar and with the group fully heated. I'm at altitude so my output is a little on the steamy side. As I slowly raise the lever you see two bursts when the upper and then the lower seal pass the inlet port.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#16: Post by chrisargar (original poster) »

Okay, thanks both for the sanity check. It'll be a few weeks before I can try out a new gasket but so far so good.

Edit: Between travel I was able to use my machine for a few days and things look good. I'll probably only update if something goes wrong again.