La Pavoni Professional - what parts typically break?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ariberco

#1: Post by ariberco »

Hello all,

I own a La Pavoni Professional which I purchased about two months ago. I'm currently living in Italy, but I'll be leaving in 3 months (relocation).

Since I'm not sure that in the future I'll be living in places with La Pavoni service centers, I would like to buy in advance spare parts that typically break or need to be replaced as part of the maintenance of the machine.

Now the question: What parts, according to your experience, would you recommend me to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Ariel B.

jtrops

#2: Post by jtrops »

Outside of long term issues, or sudden failure, there aren't really any parts that fail in regular use. Piston seals, and the group portafilter gasket need occasional replacement. If you lube the piston seals regularly they last much longer (I've been going on the same piston seals for years now).

Eventually you will need to replace the group to boiler seal, and the piston rod seals. That is pretty far down the road if you have a machine that was new 2 months ago.

I had electrical problems with mine, and ended up rewiring with 12 gauge wire. That shouldn't be an issue, but who knows?

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
ojt

#3: Post by ojt »

Buonasera,

Here's your local source for parts: https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/la-pavoni.html

I would suggest you get a couple of complete gasket sets, and a few sets of grouphead gaskets. Also get a tube of good silicone lubrificant for regular (in my case every 3-6 months) grouphead maintenance.

As for parts.. well perhaps you could change the lever to the "esperto" lever. It doesn't break too often, mine is now 2.5 years in use but I will swap it at some point.

The rest if the parts are quite long lived but of course you could go and start changing all plastic parts to metallic ones. Like for example plastic sleeve to stainless steel sleeve, plastic L-pipe connector to brass version.

And for complete paranoia get an extra thermostat.

The best service you can do to the machine though is use low TDS water. Use hard water and you're sure to break things.
Osku

jtrops

#4: Post by jtrops »

Yes, the handle. Terrible design. That is one part that seems like it is bound to fail in normal use after awhile.

The Esperto would look appropriate, but is a much better fork design on the handle. Would the Stradivari handle work on a Professional? It is half the price of the Esperto handle, and looks very solid.

stefano65
Sponsor

#5: Post by stefano65 »

I'm not sure it will be necessary to buy ached gasket kits,
they will just get old seating possibly not in the proper storage way
gasket are available all over the planet (more or less)
I would focus on more expensive and unique parts for example a boiler knob of esperto/abile line ( which they are....not behaving..as well..as thery should...for new ...)they are very expensive but over there they less of what we or anybody else not in IT will sell them for.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

ojt

#6: Post by ojt »

Thank you Stefano. I didn't know that of Esperto knobs :)

Anyway I was being a little bit sarcastic, trying to be funny. I would still get one set of gaskets and a tube of grease, but that's all :) Using soft water and generally being careful with the machine really are the best preventive cures.
Osku

zan

#7: Post by zan »

Buonasera,
I will only buy boiler knob and for fork and other upgrades coffe sensor is a good source:

https://coffee-sensor.com/product/la-pa ... -included/

Regards.