La Pavoni Professional - Restoration

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Santi

#1: Post by Santi »

Found myself a fun quaren-project! I'm new to these La Pavoni lever machines, but have always wanted to play with one. This one is showing some signs of wear. Planning to start by cleaning it up and rebuilding the group and go from there. Thought I'd share some pics for interest sake, and maybe solicit some advice from you all. :D

The only visible date markings are on the 1000 W heating element (06-03) and the pressure gauge stem (07-04), but it's a pre-millennium group, right? Must have been replaced later?

A few more shots that might narrow down date of manufacture.

Probably played too much "spot the difference" as a kid, but does the hole pattern in this lever indicate it was installed upside down? Also note the threads are gummed up. I suppose it was just an ornamental nob up there. Has anyone tapped this to add a brew pressure gauge, a la the Esperto?

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Yes, your lever is upside down. It's pre-mil and has had the element, thermoswitch, pressurestat, and gauge replaced. The cap, base, sightglass cover, and on/off switch are indicative of a '84 - '90 model - http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... 87_eng.htm

It looks like it was probably leaking steam underneath for a long time, causing heavy rust. Hopefully can be cleaned with a wire brush on a drill, or maybe electrolytic cleaning (per Saving lever espresso machine bases with serious rust ). Then treated/painted (POR-15 is often recommended).
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Santi (original poster)

#3: Post by Santi (original poster) »

Appreciate the info, homeburrero! Have about $140 in parts on the way. This will be fun.

In the mean time, wire brushed:

POR-15 on the bottom and drip tray:

Found steel wool took the years of grime off easily while preserving the chrome plating:

Al_Mahka

#4: Post by Al_Mahka »

Nice work on cleaning up the rust and the paint job!

bluesman

#5: Post by bluesman »

You're going to have a stellar little machine there! I've been looking for a similar project for years, but most have been priced foolishly high - and I made a really dumb mistake that lost me an incredible buy.

On one of my regular checks of the usual web ads, I spotted a Craigslisting for a machine like yours with an asking price of $200. I called the number and discovered that the seller lived in the building across the street from our condo! So I walked across the street with cash in my pocket, and the doorman let me go up to his apartment. When the seller answered the door, I thought I was in a Geico commercial - he was one weird, dirty looking dude with a strange affect and half of his last 3 meals in his grizzly and unkempt beard. My first thought was that I didn't care if he was selling a perfect GS3 for $100 - I couldn't imagine ingesting anything that came from a machine he'd touched.

The picture in the ad looked like a small store, but it was actually his apartment. He had dozens of pieces of coffee making equipment, pots, pans, suitcases, and many other items that could have come from a low end thrift shop scattered around on broken card tables in what started as a luxury apartment. But the LP was actually in fine shape apart from a broken sight glass. Still, I got out of there as soon as I could. On reflection later that morning, I realized that boiling water would kill and remove any remnant of the seller and I was being foolish in passing it up. I decided I should buy it - so I called him back a few hours later, and it was gone. Dumb move on my part!!

Congratulations on your find - please keep us posted on your project.

Santi (original poster)

#6: Post by Santi (original poster) »

As rule it seems that the price of complex, large machines start high and plummet in the used market. And vise-versa, something simple and small like the LP has a very healthy resale value. I am a little surprised they start as high as they do, but you can't argue with decades of sales. I will say I was pleasantly surprised with the price and availability of parts, even going back to a pre-mil of this vintage.

Good luck with your search! Quality machines are often designed to be serviced, so don't let a bit of mistreatment be a deal breaker. :)

stefano65
Sponsor

#7: Post by stefano65 »

Although the gauge and the HE shows date of 2004 and 2003
the configuration of the steam valve and of course the grouphead are quite older then that,
nice cleaning job.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Advertisement
Santi (original poster)

#8: Post by Santi (original poster) »

Coming back together!

Boiler flange:

Pressure relief:

Wiring:

Closer:

Santi (original poster)

#9: Post by Santi (original poster) »

The M10x1.25 plunger threads had damage at the top. Couldn't get a die started, but a thread file worked great.

Before:

File:

After:

Santi (original poster)

#10: Post by Santi (original poster) »

Back on the countertop!