La Pavoni Professional loud heating up noise?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
iik

#1: Post by iik »

As a new La Pavoni Professional owner I'm a bit surprised about the loud noise the machine makes when heating up.

Please check recording of the noise at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PZVkHKAz0Q (setting volume to about 60% produces correct levels).

Is this normal?

I understand boiling water makes some sounds but still no other espresso machine I have owned or used
has produced any significant noise when heating (or idling).

The machine is brand new and a 230V version, if that makes any difference.

ziptie

#2: Post by ziptie »

Yes, perfectly normal. Enjoy!

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

iik wrote:As a new La Pavoni Professional owner I'm a bit surprised about the loud noise the machine makes when heating up.

Please check recording of the noise at video (setting volume to about 60% produces correct levels).

Is this normal?

I understand boiling water makes some sounds but still no other espresso machine I have owned or used
has produced any significant noise when heating (or idling).

The machine is brand new and a 230V version, if that makes any difference.
Yes it's normal. The sound will lessen overtime, unless I simply got use to it...

The old brass heating elements were fully silent. The newer stainless steel ones prefer to let everyone in the house know when they're working.
LMWDP #592

Kaffee Bitte

#4: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

15 years with my older pavoni and it still is a bit loud on warm up at times. Usually just initial minute or two of start. My new pavoni is considerably louder at start and about half way into heat cycle.

Neither bothers me now since the noise is a convenient way of knowing when it's close to ready
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

iik (original poster)

#5: Post by iik (original poster) »

Ok, thanks for the replies.

I'm probably going to try some mods to make it more quiet. I'll report if I have any success... :)

bialettibarista

#6: Post by bialettibarista »

I have a pre millennium that only makes that noise when there's some hard water build-up on the heating coils. When it starts making that noise for me that's the sign it needs a good soak. It is surprising how little build up it takes to start making noise. The coils may look completely clean but they are not. My water is extremely soft and I find I have to soak it about every 3 weeks. Otherwise mine is almost completely silent. The level of noise I heard I would not classify as normal.

LObin

#7: Post by LObin » replying to bialettibarista »

But you have a pre-millenium... As I wrote before, having gone from an old style brass heating element to a new stainless steel one, I can assure you the sound in the video is normal for a millenium machine The old HE are almost silent while the new SS ones are loud.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

LObin

#8: Post by LObin »

iik wrote:Ok, thanks for the replies.

I'm probably going to try some mods to make it more quiet. I'll report if I have any success... :)
What kind of mods do you have in mind???
You can always glue sound proofing panels to the inside of a cardboard box and put it over your Pavoni when it heats up... :shock:

Honestly, like Kaffee Bitte has mentioned previously, the sound will lessen eventually. I paid close attention during warm up this morning and it definitely isn't as loud as it was 5 months ago after converting the HE.
I still remember the first time I fired it up... Pretty sure I remove the base and check if everything was alright underneath. It'll improve overtime... :)
LMWDP #592

bialettibarista

#9: Post by bialettibarista »

LObin wrote:But you have a pre-millenium... As I wrote before, having gone from an old style brass heating element to a new stainless steel one, I can assure you the sound in the video is normal for a millenium machine The old HE are almost silent while the new SS ones are loud.

Cheers!
I think it is just a misunderstanding. I had only read the original post. My comment about it not being normal was answering the question in the original if it was normal. I only read the whole post after your reply. No chest bumping intended.

LObin

#10: Post by LObin »

bialettibarista wrote:No chest bumping intended.
:lol:
Love it!

Can I borrow that quote?

Cheers!
LMWDP #592