La Pavoni Pro sleeve damage?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
toolate

#1: Post by toolate »

I have a pre Millennium La Pavoni Pro.
there is some tarnish or damage to to the sleeve See photo.

Is it best to just disregard this? Elbow polish doesn't seem to do anything to it...

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

If it's not rough then you don't need to worry about it. It could impact the life of your seals, but other than that with sufficient lubrication/sealant you'll be okay.

Having said that; my 1984 La Pavoni Pro was a bit rough and I addressed it with a brake cylinder hone: The stones on the hone are too rough in my opinion so I put sandpaper over the stone and then slowly polished the cylinder walls up to 800 grit. Really smooth in there now. Take your time and be patient. You don't want to grind down the wall, just get it nice and polished.
LMWDP #445

toolate (original poster)

#3: Post by toolate (original poster) »

what exactly would i be sanding off?

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mborkow »

Were you having a problem operating the machine?

#5: Post by toolate (original poster) »

if well lubicated no. But since the gen 2 sleeve can not be replaced i would love for it to last

LObin

#6: Post by LObin »

Like DanoM has suggested, if it's smooth, just leave it be.
If it needs to be addressed, then a break cylinder hone and very light grit sand paper will do it. I've seen people finish with something as fine as 1500 or 2000 grit.

I would also suggest switching your water for something like R.Pavlis's water recipe. You'll find many HB threads on this subject.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mborkow »

toolate wrote:if well lubicated no. But since the gen 2 sleeve can not be replaced i would love for it to last
Just my $0.02, I'd lube it and use it...seems the worst is that you might damage/wear your seals prematurely...

#8: Post by toolate (original poster) »

yeah thanks all.
better safe than sorry.