La Pavoni Pro - Problems getting a "corto" after machine refurbishing

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
MANFIO

#1: Post by MANFIO »

Hi! My first post here.
I recently changed the base, gaskets and other repairs in my 1996 LA PAVONI EUROPICCOLA PROFESSIONAL.
After that, the machine gets more pressure (no more leaks) but I can't get a good "corto" after that. Even if I use the extra fine set in my grinder (CAPRESSO), and even pressing the coffee a lot with the "pressino" (tamper?), the coffee comes too easily, the coffee offers almost no resistance to the lever, as it did in the past, resulting in a coffee with a "burnt" taste and poor foam.
I imagine that the pressure is too high. is there a kind of adjustment in the lever or other thing I can do?
The quality of the coffee beans I am using is the same I used in the past with good results.
Sorry for my poor English, my Italian and Portuguese are better but....

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Welcome Luis,

What bar (pressure) does the gauge show when the pressurestat turns off ?
How many grams are you dosing in either a double or single baskets ?

* Make sure seals are on correctly http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... cement.htm
* Make sure lever is not installed upside down. http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm

Links above point to Francesco's site it Italy. The information is available in both Italian and English.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

MANFIO (original poster)

#3: Post by MANFIO (original poster) »

The pressure gauge shows 0.9 bar, then when I open the steam valve, it stabilizes at 1 bar.

I don't weight the coffee, I do it by eye, I've being doing this way for 2 decades.

The hole on the lever in the piston axis is located downwards.

The seals and gaskets were installed in a correct way, I did it about 4 or 5 times already.

Thanks!

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

Can you check your group gasket to make sure it's forming a tight seal on the portafilter.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

MANFIO (original poster)

#5: Post by MANFIO (original poster) »

I think there is no steam leak in the portafilter and the group, otherwise I would have steam coming out from there. What I noticed is that the "turn" of the portafilter goes a bit beyond the point it used to stop in the past, prior to the refurbishing.

redbone

#6: Post by redbone »

Not sure if yiu have the plastic piston or brass. If plastic they have been known to come loose from piston shaft.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

MANFIO (original poster)

#7: Post by MANFIO (original poster) »

I changed the piston for a brass one some years ago, and checked it during the refurbishing, it was tight in the shaft. I am thinking about lowering the piston a bit by adjusting the nut. It seems that, in some way, i nees less pression forcing the water against the coffee, to slow down thing.

redbone

#8: Post by redbone »

MANFIO wrote:I changed the piston for a brass one some years ago, and checked it during the refurbishing, it was tight in the shaft. I am thinking about lowering the piston a bit by adjusting the nut.
The piston should be set at its most bottom point touching the group screen without pushing it out.
Lock piston shaft nut after placing portafilter with basket in group during process. Push gently on shaft until it can not go any further and tighten nut.

Having P.F. in place with basket insures that the group screen won't push out during process and insures proper fitment for P.F. with basket.
Usually the P.F. with basket won't fit if this is not done and you have to go through the process again. Having the piston settle at its lowest point to the screen greatly minimizes P.F. sneeze.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

MANFIO (original poster)

#9: Post by MANFIO (original poster) »

I will try that today Rob! Grazie tante!!!

redbone

#10: Post by redbone replying to MANFIO »

Você é bem vindo. Melhor sorte
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549