La Pavoni, pre Millenium vs Millenium

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
caeffe

#1: Post by caeffe »

I'm trying to understand what the differences and advantages/disadvantages are between the 2 types of Europiccola's. I know the millenium has a larger dia basket (49 vs 51?)

Can any of you experts out there point them out or refer to a thread I can read through.

What brought this on is the thread about the new Gaggia Factory at WLL and the older Europiccola I just obtained via eBay. I'm trying to convince myself whether to bite the bullet and get the Factory (and sell my eBay purchase) or hang on to my eBay purchase.

bsafnuk

#2: Post by bsafnuk »

I had the pre-millennium model for many years, and what I disliked most about it was the lack of thermostat. It was maddening trying to get to a consistent temperature, and trying to get back-to-back shots that were remotely close was pretty much impossible. Then if I had it on full power to steam, it would become way too hot to pull any more espressos until it had a lengthy cool off.

Other than temperature issues, I quite liked it, and it is certainly capable of excellent espresso. Probably the millennium model would be the better choice. Personally, if I ever went back to a lever machine I would skip the Pavoni/Gaggia and get a Ponte Vecchio or Elektra.

-Brad

Jarno

#3: Post by Jarno »

When making espresso, between shots I turn off the machine, cock the lever, and then cool the grouphead using a couple of ice cubes and a wet rag. Then I turn on the machine until the surface of the grouphead reaches the desired temperature before the next shot. I find I can pull about 1 shot every 5 to 10 minutes.

espressme

#4: Post by espressme »

Fww,YMMV I put a gauge on my old no-pressurestat 49mm group pre-millenium and heat to the pull temp and then switch to low heat. Then I do the milk steaming at high heat. Probably be able to do that with a pressurestat machine with a gauge. The old ones used the mist from the safety valve to tell when to pull! A little vapor was the pull and a squealing lot was for steaming. The gauge only proved that!
There are as many theories as operators and most get a fairly good shot consistently.
As above poster stated I would go for a better machine with a covered boiler.
Good luck on choosing your machine!
richard /espressme
richard penney LMWDP #090,

caeffe (original poster)

#5: Post by caeffe (original poster) »

Well, did some searching and found this:
As I find more links/threads maybe I'll post here as there could be others who'd appreciate this info in a single thread.

pavoni europiccola - thermostat versus pressurestat versions