La pavoni pre millenium steam knob stuck

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JackGumina

#1: Post by JackGumina »

Hi there,

I just purchased a pre millenium la pavoni and was trying to replace the steam valve gasket. I unscrewed the whole assembly then unscrewed the screw that I thought held the knob in place. However with much pulling and twisting, the knob would not come off. This is a 74 machine so it makes sense that it's on there good. Any tips on getting it off?

Much appreciated
Jack

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Yes. I use an easy fix. Cut off the existing rubber gasket. Cut the replacement gasket, put it in place and glue the cut ends together with superglue (cyanoacrylate). When it has had sufficient time to set, lubricate with Dow 111.

1961 La Pavoni Europiccola History and Servicing
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jtrops

#3: Post by jtrops »

Unless yours was modified the knob should be held in place by a tension pin. To get the knob off you knock the pin out with a hammer and a punch (i used a nail that fit with the point filed down). I have since tapped the hole with a 4mm tap, and replaced the pin with a et screw to make it easier to service.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I think these early machines have a set screw. You can loosen that screw but over time the threads in the shaft have merged with the threads in the knob so that are very hard and at times impossible to loosen. The method I suggested above works well. I have used it on two machines now.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jtrops

#5: Post by jtrops replying to drgary »

Good to know. I guess i should keep my eye out for a gen1, so I can get familiar with the early machines. It would be nice to have one at work...

JackGumina (original poster)

#6: Post by JackGumina (original poster) »

Never would have thought to cut the gasket but it will try it!

Thanks for the input