La Pavoni Models

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Guyeinan

#1: Post by Guyeinan »

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a pre-owned La Pavoni Home machine and noticed that there are few differences between them and wanted to understand which one I better look for.

I saw that in the Europiccola, there are some with two switches(white and red), and some with only one with green indicator, which of them are the newer model? which is better to use? What is the white switch is for?

Also, I am debating between the Professional to the Europiccola, the only difference is the number of cups I can make out of the tank or it has more professional abilities?

Thank you !
Guy

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I would advise starting here to get an idea of the 50-odd variations of Pavoni's made over the last 62 years: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_eng.htm

There are three main generations: gen 1 - 1961-1974; pre-millenium - 1975-1999; and post-millenium - 2000+. Every generation has its advantages and disadvantages.

Other than size, the Professional has a boiler pressure gauge, but you can add a pressure gauge afterwards in most years of the Europiccola.

There is no "best" model in my opinion as everyone has different requirements - and there are plenty of mods around to make almost any version meet almost any requirement.

Good luck!

(New Pavoni owner here - I just bought my 1970 machine two months ago.)

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

"Pre-millennium" were generations 1 and 2, made before the year 2000. Before Francesco Ceccarelli classified them this way, most people were familiar with generations 2 and 3 and called them pre-millenium and millenium. The generations are distinguised by changes in brew group design. Gens 1 and 3 are water-heated and are more temperature stable. Gen 2 is steam-heated and can more easily overheat. Gen 1 had very high build quality with all but the last version having cast aluminum bases and all having weighty brew groups with a screw-in brass cylinder. This was great for trmperature stability. These 1st gen models regulated boiler pressure by hand-switching to a low power heating element and constantly venting steam. They were harder to service because many parts were screwed in place with threads. 2nd gens were much easier to service with bolted on parts (later including the heating element). The brass group sleeve was eliminated. The main models were the Europiccola and Professional. The Professional introduced a pressurestat to regulate boiler temperature plus a pressure gauge to monitor that, and a larger boiler. Soon most 2nd gen machines were made with bases of stamped plain steel that was plated but easily rusted. There were some made of brass. All flex during a strong lever pull. The lever fork was more cheaply made than the former solid brass that was plated. There was recently a rare Eurobar model listed for sale in our Buy/Sell forum (now sold) that was made from many parts of the Professional but separated the brew group from the boiler and circulated boiler water through the group in a thermosyphon. This gave great temperature stability. The 3rd gen machines redesigned the brew group to be water heated with a plastic inserted cylinder. While 3rd gen machines never returned to 1st gen build quality, some had fancier designs for visual appeal and added brew and pressure gauges. I prefer the early machines and the Eurobar. There's a bit of a learning curve to pulling consistent shots by monitoring brew group temperature and eliminating air from the brew path before a shot.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!