La Pavoni Millennium Owners, Are Temperature Problems Solved?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Hello All:

Awhile ago I came into possession of a La Pavoni Europiccola Millennium model machine and found it so easy to use that it converted me into someone who now prefers lever machines.* Soon after acquiring it, I followed Christopher Cara's advice to replace the plastic piston with a brass one, so that's where my easy learning curve started. Later, on his advice, I replaced the plastic sight glass fittings with metal ones. I've serviced it in other routine ways, replacing gaskets and repairing a rusted drip tray. Now it's fully restored better than new, correcting some of the build quality issues, and it's a pleasure to use. I can leave it on for hours and easily control the temperature of my shots by dipping the portafilter in water. I don't use a bottomless portafilter because I want to preserve its heat sink properties by not losing any mass. It looks great and was a tremendous bargain. After all this I've got about $200 into it, purchase price and all.

Later add: Here's a photo of the sight glass nuts upgraded from plastic to chrome:

Pavonis are legendary for overheating, and I'm told the Millennium edition tried to fix this. The reputation of the older ones may be holding people back from trying a very nice machine. So I'm starting this thread to invite the comments of Millennium model owners about whether they've had any difficulties with temperature control or build quality. Some of you may also own the older models and be able to compare them.

Here are some related threads:

Pavoni europiccola - thermostat versus pressurestat versions

La Pavoni Millenium for Newbies

La Pavoni, pre Millenium vs Millenium

* Nearly a year later I now like levers and pump machines about equally but am still happy with levers. A capable espresso machine of either type will pull good shots, and at this point in my espresso journey the coffee is the star of the show.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

With the Pstat set low enough (i.e. boiler temperature relatively low) the group temperature can probably stay moderately cool as you say. Overheating becomes a problem when one tries to pull several shots in quick succession. The group becomes so hot that it can no longer sink enough heat from the boiler temp. water to bring it down to proper brew temp. Remember, water at 1 bar pressure boils around 130 C (can't remember exactly).

If you want to try a simple test you don't even need to waste coffee. Fill the boiler and let it come to full pressure. Prepare your normal basket of espresso. Before you pull the shot pull 4-5 shots worth of water through the group first, then pull the shot quickly thereafter. See how it tastes!

One of those group temperature strips would come in handy for monitoring group temp and making things repeatable. I've been meaning to get them for my Exports but since I seldom pull more than two shots in succession I've not been in a hurry.

A did a quick Pavoni vs. Ponte Vecchio comparision a couple of years back, and posted a thread topic on it here in the lever forum.

One of these days I'd like to add a peacock to my collection too.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

peacecup

#3: Post by peacecup »

LMWDP #049

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

LMWDP #049

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

LMWDP #049

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:... Overheating becomes a problem when one tries to pull several shots in quick succession. The group becomes so hot that it can no longer sink enough heat from the boiler temp. water to bring it down to proper brew temp. Remember, water at 1 bar pressure boils around 130 C (can't remember exactly).

If you want to try a simple test you don't even need to waste coffee. Fill the boiler and let it come to full pressure. Prepare your normal basket of espresso. Before you pull the shot pull 4-5 shots worth of water through the group first, then pull the shot quickly thereafter. See how it tastes!
Interesting, Jack. I'll try that. Your suggestion refines my question, then. It breaks into two parts and implies a third, which are: 1) "Does your millennium Pavoni overheat if left idling for a long time?" versus; 2) "Does your millennium Pavoni overheat when pulling several shots in quick succession?" and then; 3) "If your millennium Pavoni overheats after pulling multiple shots in quick succession, are you able to quickly and effectively cool it, and if so, how?"

About question 1: For my Pavoni, I've already answered the first question. It doesn't overheat when left idling. I'm interested for myself and others whether this is true for my machine alone or whether it's true for the millennium models in general. As someone drinking small amounts of espresso over the first half of the day, this makes my machine trouble free and totally suitable for my needs.

I'll now fire it up and try and answer at least question 2, which becomes relevant when two or more people are relying on one machine. I hope I don't ruin a perfectly good dose of Four Barrel Friendo Blendo! :P
Gary
LMWDP#308

entropyembrace

#7: Post by entropyembrace »

My La Pavoni overheats easily when left idle....but it's old enough there's no thermostat or pstat to automatically cycle the elements.

Advertisement
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Tera, for comparison then, I assume yours is pre-millennium because it doesn't have a PSTAT or TSTAT. Is that correct?
Gary
LMWDP#308

entropyembrace

#9: Post by entropyembrace »

yep, it's from 1977

peacecup

#10: Post by peacecup »

The Pavoni Pro I had was 49-mm, hence pre-mil. The pstat did not work well, and could not be adjusted down. It overheated when left idle, and it was difficult to keep cool enough to brew in all cases.

I had the same problem with my Sama Export when I got it. The Pstat was stuck on high and the brew temp and pressure was difficult to manage. But the Export sinks heat better than the Pavoni, so the brew temp was ok. I got that sorted out when I resealed the boiler.

Its easy to cool the PV group with a wet towel and cool PF, and I suppose the Pavoni would be the same. Again a group temp strip would be helpful
LMWDP #049