La Pavoni Millennium dosing and yield weights

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
MooseJaw

#1: Post by MooseJaw »

Hi all,

I just purchased a used millennium machine and I've been looking for data on dosing and yield. Very few sources even weigh out their grounds yet alone their yield (anal about this stuff because I was trained to).

What are some good amounts to aim for?

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

For the millennium double basket your max dose, depending on bean, grind, and tamp would be 16-18 grams. If you do a couple settling taps then level with a straight edge, then tamp, you probably will be in the neighborhood of your max dose for your particular bean and grind in terms of having a sliver of headspace. When dialing in you can do a nickle test to find your max dose - put a nickle on the tamped puck, then lock it in fully, then gently remove it and check that the nickel is not very embedded in the puck.

If you search this forum on Pavoni dose, you will find some experts recommending doses down in the 13-14 gram range, with yields of up to 30g. My favorites (dense Ethiopian natural bean, fine grind, slow ristrettoish shot) often dial in around 17g in, and around 25g out. As you go to higher doses on the Pavoni you may find that you get a lower volume from a single full pull.

There is a lot of info on this forum on this topic that you can find via search, for example: How much coffee do you put in your La Pavoni Europiccola baskets?

When reading those posts be aware that the pre-millennium machines have a smaller stock basket and take a smaller dose. And to confuse things further you will see that many of the pre-millennium users use the Elektra rather than the stock basket, and those baskets are almost the same as the millennium basket. The Gaggia Factory is the same as the LP millennium. 13 grams in a stock pre-millennium gives you about the same headspace as 17g in a millennium or Elektra basket.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

jonr

#3: Post by jonr »

I suggest starting with whatever data or experience you have from machines with larger portafilters and adjust for the reduction in area (ie, maintain the same puck depth, brew ratio, grind and time). For example, 77% of the coffee weight and water you would use in a 58mm machine.

I like ~16 grams in a 58mm, which comes out to 11.4 grams in a smaller pre-millennium. I've tried higher (on both machines) - didn't like it.

Belluca

#4: Post by Belluca »

around 15 grams is a good starting point for that basket. the raccomandation in the manual is way off..

MooseJaw (original poster)

#5: Post by MooseJaw (original poster) »

What's a good yield to start aiming for? The cafe I work at uses 20g/40g for our LM Linea PB...

RioCruz

#6: Post by RioCruz »

jonr wrote:I like ... 11.4 grams in a smaller pre-millennium. I've tried higher (on both machines) - didn't like it.
+1

I too, much prefer a similar dose---somewhere between 11 and 12 gms. for my 1999 premillennial, 49mm Europiccola. A higher dose tastes a bit muddy to me. I prefer the clarity and nuance I get with the lower dose.
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

jimvibe

#7: Post by jimvibe »

My go to setup is 15g in, 15-20g out in about 23-28 seconds + preinfusion. The out volume is a tad under an ounce with crema. The darker the roast the longer the pull generally.

ilker

#8: Post by ilker »

After trying many different dose and yield ratios, I think the italian recipe of espresso must have good reasons.
These are italian machines anyway. Aren't they? So I decided to surrender and follow their way.

Now I like the 14gr in 35~40gr out. (depending on the coffee)
This ratio gives me balanced, smooth espresso with great clarity of flavours. I know its so tempting to dose more and more and have a giant shot with 17-18gr dose. But to may palate, it doesn't taste same good and I get too much caffein.

jimvibe

#9: Post by jimvibe »

ilker wrote:Now I like the 14gr in 35~40gr out. (depending on the coffee)
This ratio gives me balanced, smooth espresso with great clarity of flavours. I know its so tempting to dose more and more and have a giant shot with 17-18gr dose. But to may palate, it doesn't taste same good and I get too much caffein.
Do you use a Fellini move to get that much out? I often struggle to get even 30g yield.

ilker

#10: Post by ilker »

In order to be more consistent, I just make 2 straight pulls.
I cut the shot at the end of it when the targeted volume is achieved.