La Pavoni Ideale 1929 - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Sansibar99

#31: Post by Sansibar99 »

It is always such a pleasure to watch a perfectionist doing things!
Absolutely stunning!
LMWDP #422

Paul_Pratt (original poster)

#32: Post by Paul_Pratt (original poster) »

Not quite working yet but she has a full boiler and came up to temp - but not under pressure. And then I ran out of time. It was quite something to feel heat in the groups I can tell you.

A few small jobs were also done. There are some washers that go between the valve knobs and their retaining screws. Up until today they were just black discs and I assumed just plain. But after a bit of cleaning...

They are actually like little coins, made from stamped brass. A really great discovery. There is one missing so I quickly made a blank one :D I can put this one on the side of the sight glass.

So hopefully on Monday I can tighten everything up and see about putting the boiler lid on and well...the big test.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by mborkow »

What a tease! :D

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by Pressino »

Why did it not build a head of steam pressure if the boiler came up to temp? Or was the temp it came up to simply too low? BTW I've been following your superb work refurbishing this machine and eagerly await a video of it in action, like a time machine trip back to1929! 8)

drgary
Team HB

#35: Post by drgary »

Finding the details on the knob buttons is like discovering hidden treasure. They're wonderful. Thanks for showing that, Paul.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#36: Post by Paul_Pratt (original poster) »

Pressino wrote:Why did it not build a head of steam pressure if the boiler came up to temp? Or was the temp it came up to simply too low? BTW I've been following your superb work refurbishing this machine and eagerly await a video of it in action, like a time machine trip back to1929! 8)
I have found that it is always good practice to heat the machine with the steam valves open, then let it cool and tighten everything back up again the next day. In this case there is a large lid on the top of the boiler that still needs to go on so the boiler is not closed yet. Otherwise you run the risk of quickly trying to stop steam and water leaks when it is building up pressure and things are too hot to touch.

#37: Post by Paul_Pratt (original poster) »

There is another good reason why I have not been able to pressurise the boiler yet, I still have not finished the pressure gauge. So for next week I will have to use another gauge for testing.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by Pressino »

OK, didn't catch that it is still being put back together. Can't wait to see that wonderful machine in action! I hope you can attach a short video. :)

sluflyer06

#39: Post by sluflyer06 »

Do you have any plans to test the water coming out of the group after the water had been heated and in the machine over time and have the water tested for lead? Have people done this already on other machines of this vintage?

#40: Post by Paul_Pratt (original poster) replying to sluflyer06 »

I could do but I can tell you what the result will be beforehand :D Inside the boiler there was some lead solder.