La Pavoni Grouphead Upgrade

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
marceloBrews

#1: Post by marceloBrews »

Hello all. I have a Pre-Millennium Pro and was wondering if it was worth upgrading to the Millennium grouphead and portafilter. The upgrade is a bolt on and would allow me to use a 21g IMS basket with a bottomless portafilter. I can get the grouphead assembly and bottomless portafilter with IMS basket from The Espresso Shop for $330 shipped. Or would a pressure profile kit be a better investment? Please help me decide which to get first. Thank you!

RobAnybody

#2: Post by RobAnybody »

hi,
My question would be if it is worth going to an 21g basket given the shot volume of a La pavoni (it could be, I just don't know)
There is of course a relatively easy mod to make the pre-millennium grouphead water saturated Heat control mod for 2nd Generation La Pavoni Levers (or buy the isolation bong instead https://coffee-sensor.com/product/bong- ... la-pavoni/
With a bottomless portafilter you could also go for the Strietman or Elektra 49mm double baskets if you want to increase the dose. 49 mm basket comparison
If you go for the millennium grouphead I would change the plastic skirt/camina/sleeve jacket for a metal one https://coffee-sensor.com/product-categ ... are-parts/ it will last much longer.
cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647

marceloBrews (original poster)

#3: Post by marceloBrews (original poster) replying to RobAnybody »

Hello Rob. Thanks for your thoughts and links. I'm new to the La Pavoni world so have a lot to learn.

jackdaddy

#4: Post by jackdaddy »

I have an early 2nd generation professional and have converted it to a water heated group as Rob has suggested. I have no idea about the differences in volume in the available baskets for the 3rd generation group versus the 2nd generation. I have a bottomless portafilter, with a basket that is larger than the La Pavoni double basket. I bought it in Europe and unfortunately I don't remember from where, but it came with the bottomless PF. Anyway, I am moderately happy with the dose, but it could be bigger. I don't know how others here feel, but I find the the 2nd generation group is so simple and is nearly bulletproof, and once converted to water heated it is temperature stable. I don't have any knowledge or experience about the durability of the 3rd generation internal parts.
I have a pressure profiler kit and I think it is very useful and helps to get the best out of the machine. By quantifying piston pressure and giving you feedback it helps to manage one more variable in the equation, while also providing some opportunity for experimentation. The kit I have also has a detachable lever that I find super handy.
Jack
LMWDP #698

#5: Post by marceloBrews (original poster) replying to jackdaddy »

Thanks Jack. The Espresso Shop sells a La Pavoni 49mm bottomless PF with a 16g basket I might get instead and I'll look into a pressure profile kit further.

jackdaddy

#6: Post by jackdaddy »

Happy to help, Marcelo.
Here is a link to the PF and basket I have from the place I ordered it:

https://www.espressoxxl.de/SIEBTRAeGER- ... UeHGRUPPE-

I doubt it will be of any help, but maybe you can compare the depth of the basket with the one you are thinking about getting. Maybe someone here can identify which one it is. The basket's ID at the top is 50mm and about 48.7mm at the bottom. The depth is 25mm.
Jack
LMWDP #698

jtrops

#7: Post by jtrops »

For the machines prior to the millennium models you can use an Elektra MCAL basket if you either have a deep original portafilter, or bottomless. Those baskets are not expensive, and easy to source (Stefano's has them).

#8: Post by marceloBrews (original poster) »

jackdaddy wrote:Happy to help, Marcelo.
Here is a link to the PF and basket I have from the place I ordered it:

https://www.espressoxxl.de/SIEBTRAeGER- ... UeHGRUPPE-

I doubt it will be of any help, but maybe you can compare the depth of the basket with the one you are thinking about getting. Maybe someone here can identify which one it is. The basket's ID at the top is 50mm and about 48.7mm at the bottom. The depth is 25mm.
jtrops wrote:For the machines prior to the millennium models you can use an Elektra MCAL basket if you either have a deep original portafilter, or bottomless. Those baskets are not expensive, and easy to source (Stefano's has them).
Thanks Sirs. Will look into your recommendations. But first have to figure out why my Pro just started taking 3 pulls to get 28 grams out. Will search here and google. I'm sure the info is out there already. 8)

RobAnybody

#9: Post by RobAnybody replying to marceloBrews »

Most likely it is indeed! (i remember a post on reduced output when overdosing, but also one linked to an unscrewed piston) you'll probably/hopefully have this solved in no time at all.
cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

#10: Post by marceloBrews (original poster) replying to RobAnybody »

Thanks Rob. I didn't want to reduce the already small dose, IMHO, of 14g so I went 5 coarser on my Flair grinder and got 28g out with one pull. Still no pre-infusion drip and little crema but was drinkable. I would have tried another pull with a coarser grind but that was already my 4th espresso of the day. :lol: