La Pavoni group bolt torque specifications

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
day

#1: Post by day »

Hi. Would any of you have that figure. putting on a Teflon heat break and do not want to get the torque way off.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

Teflon cold flows so expect some loosening over time. As the stock thread engagement is less than optimal a very light just past finger tight with a wrench is more than plenty, 5 to 6ft-lb or 60-65in-lb max.

day (original poster)

#3: Post by day (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

Thanks a lot. If I buy new 16mm bolts would you recommend a greater torque? It may actually be in the thread where rpavli talked about the longer bolts, I will remove this post if it is.

day (original poster)

#4: Post by day (original poster) »

OldNuc wrote:Teflon cold flows so expect some loosening over time. As the stock thread engagement is less than optimal a very light just past finger tight with a wrench is more than plenty, 5 to 6ft-lb or 60-65in-lb max.
well, after realizing my group wasn't level it continued to leak...going to have to recut and try one more go...thanks for the help on the bolts

HoldTheOnions

#5: Post by HoldTheOnions »

If you still have leaking on the second go, I used this stuff on my machine. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002U ... 1_1&sr=8-1 Just put a small bead around the hole inside the heat break, let it dry for an hour or so and then put the grouphead on. It will not leak.

Edit, meant to add wait 24 hours after that for it to cure.

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

The torque makes no real difference once you have the group leak tight on the boiler. Over torquing will accomplish nothing and those are steel bolts into brass. The OEM bolts are too short for proper engagement with anything but the stock o-ring in place and even if you went with real brass or steel bolts of sufficient length you would still be limited to 8-10ft-lb. As has been said previously in other threads Teflon is going to cold flow regardless and increasing the clamping load only causes it to flow faster. An o-ring is still recommended to maintain a leak tight seal between the group and boiler long term. That implies a different diameter o-ring to compensate for the thickness of the Teflon.