la pavoni europiccola: water boiling when exiting group

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
odradek

#1: Post by odradek »

My coffee continues to have this burnt taste. Below is a video of water as it comes out of the group. Now, the obvious answer is to turn the machine off before pulling. However, if you turn it off for too long, there's not enough pressure to produce a shot - it seems either to be boiling or to be insufficient pressure.

I previously used a friend's professional, and the water coming out of the group was not the bubbly dribble you see above but a real 'power shower' effect. any thoughts?

«missing video»

A2chromepeacock

#2: Post by A2chromepeacock »

odradek wrote:I previously used a friend's professional, and the water coming out of the group was not the bubbly dribble you see above but a real 'power shower' effect.
Hi odradek. By way of reassurance, the video you provided looks exactly like the water exiting from my group. I've not suffered the problems with persistently burnt espresso (though I can certainly burn 'em with the best if the machine is on too long, too much flushing the group, switched beans, beans got older, etc etc etc ad nauseum w/ the pavoni).

I know what you mean, though, about the power shower. My best friend's pavoni, exact same model (small boiler millenium) makes quite a powerful shower. You can see the individual streams of pressurized water coming from the group's screen when the lever is up. I have to manage his machine differently (i.e. alterations to grind and tamp, as his seems more prone to channeling) but I can get equally good shots. (as an aside, his whole machine seems to run more hot, and his steam seems more powerful. i've never pulled both apart to check the pressurestats, nor have I measured the brew temps, as I can get good results with both. As well, the brew temp seems to be so highly variable on the pavoni anyway, with slight variations in the routine.)

i'd not worry too much about it.

for what it's worth--my routine:

1. sight glass 80% full.

2. turn machine on, with portafilter locked in.

3. when boiler indicator light goes off, bleed the steam wand for 5 seconds (the boiler light will turn back on).

4. when light goes off again, i pump the handle six times, stopping just short at the top, so no water actually enters the group head. i'm not sure where I read to do this, (somewhere in the forums--sorry I can't remember who wrote it), but it really serves to warm the group. I didn't use to do it, and I was sinking my first sour shot each time--no more since instituting this step. Prior to the six pumps, the group is warm to the touch, but I certainly can't burn my finger on it. After the six pumps (and another cycling of the heating element), the group is really hot, like the boiler and group neck.

5. When the light goes off again (after the six pumps), I pull an ounce or so of water through the group head. The only reason I do this is to warm my espresso cup. I don't do it with the specific intent to further change the group temp.

6. I remove and dry the portafilter basket, then grind (Rocky doserless, a bit o' the shaky shaky back and forth of the portafilter during grinding seems to help de-clump. i also use two downward taps to slightly increase the dose, grinding to a heaping pile). I distribute with the Chicago chop (sorry WDT'ers...I haven't found a good yogurt cup yet that will fit the smaller portafilter!) My (Reg Barber) tamp is by doing the nutating thing lightly, then a tap or two on the side, then a firm--not bone-crushing--tamp and weight-free polish.

7. I lift the handle on the pavoni almost all the way to where water will enter the group prior to loading the portafilter.

8. Load the portafilter and lift the handle the rest of the way up, pre-infusing for a 10-count.

9. Slow pull about 30-50% of the way down, judged by resistance, until I feel in my mind's eye (yeah, yeah, I know) that I've saturated the top half of the puck, then I Fellini the handle back up slowly to the top for a three count, then a slow single pull for the shot.

10. Through my naked PF, I'm getting ~1.5 ounces with this method. Doesn't taste burnt, 75% crema that settles out to a persistent 1/4 inch of nicely flecked crema if I didn't screw anything up. Black Cat, 4-10 days old.

-Derek

Advertisement
jon

#3: Post by jon »

If its any comfort i get the same 'boiling' effect (same machine) but with no real adverse side effects.

Regards

odradek (original poster)

#4: Post by odradek (original poster) »

Yes, thanks guys. The coffee this morning was actually much better. I think i've been overheating the group by drawing too much water through it prior to pull. I also used some frozen beans this morning, which may or may not have made a difference. (nb first time i've seen 'fellini' used as a verb, btw!)

Fullsack

#5: Post by Fullsack »

LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams