La Pavoni Europiccola swiveling base pre-millenium plastic nut

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rolius

#1: Post by rolius »

Hi HB,

I need your help in a topic that has been discussed already, but not exactly my case. I looked after it and didn't find a solution.

So I have a La Pavoni Europiccola from 1999.
It works well but the base is swiveling.
It has the plastic nut on the base.
I have just fixed a Professional using a 3 clamp oil wrench. Usage of this tool didn't work in this case as the nut didn't move at all.
I also tried the blue Loctite threadlocker method, but it didn't dry completely after some days so no success.
I tried lastly with an extra strong silicone. It sticked on the base but the plastic, so the swiveling remained
I had an idea to inject threadlocker between the gasket and the plastic nut. Unfortunately the space is too narrow to make this work.

I made a short video of the issue:
Do you have any other recommendations to solve this issue?
I really want to place the dis- and re-assemly solution to the last place because it was extremely hard to tighten the nut on the base to fix everything permanently.

It happens both in hot and cold status of the machine.

Thanks for your help.

ziptie

#2: Post by ziptie »

Replace the plastic ring for a brass one. The plastic ring was used from '97-01. The plastic ring was a poor choice. Newer ones have brass. Mine is an '04 and it has always had brass. Just be sure to get the correct brass ring for your generation of LP. There are different threads for some.

Also, there should be two gaskets that get sandwiched between. One between the boiler and the top of the base, and the second between the ring and the underside of the base. I cannot tell from your video if you have the gaskets. Some folks use a bit of adhesive between the gaskets and the base for extra insurance. I have not.

stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

Replacing the flange with a brass one is a good idea in general BUT it will not prevent from swiveling eventually again,
and yes the spacers should be replaced as well,
we also apply a drop of Loctite when re-tightening them, and more then anything during, is the after that will help from doing it again,
we call it counterbalancing
see video
also if none of the "home made" tools works we rent and sell tool for the job as well.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

rolius (original poster)

#4: Post by rolius (original poster) »

Thanks Stefano,

It looks I have to disassemble the machine. Alright. No problem.
When you say Loctite, do you mean a threadlocker? (I have the 243 type)
And should I glue the seal to the nut or seal to the base, or glue everything? :)

Unfortunately I can't rent from you. I live in Hungary. Somehow I will resolve this.

One more thing. How do you fix the machine when you assemble it?
I saw 2 videos where the boiler was fixed to a vise using a piece of metal. Is there any other useful method?

Thank you.

rolius (original poster)

#5: Post by rolius (original poster) »

Compared to the brass ring, it was easy to remove the plastic ring.
I changed both sealings and used loctite threadlocker in the thread.
I had to ask a friend to hold the base while I tightened the ring with a torque wrench.
Now it is pretty tight.