La Pavoni Europiccola - Swap to small basket - tips? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
martinlhoff (original poster)

#11: Post by martinlhoff (original poster) »

Quick note here to say that I played a bit with the single basket, did not have good outcomes. Maybe there's a way, but I could not find it.

I then switched back to the double basket and reduced the dose (and ground finer), and that's gotten me to very happy place with the following:

- American Beauty - from Northbound - starting at ~1 week after roast date
- 10g (+/- 0.2) in, ~20-22g out
- good temp on grouphead -> 90C at least
- preinfusion: first drops in cup at 8-12s, at 15s extract even if no drops

With this, I go through 3-4 espressos a day, the taste is amazing, productivity is high, and I'm not too over-caffeinated. I could probably dial down to 8g.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

henri wrote:I probably should've specified that the problem here is that my single shots on the (pre-mill) Pavoni blond extremely early. I'm not sure why exactly, though I suspect channeling / detachment of the puck from the basket walls. Cutting the shot before blonding, the espresso tastes fine but the yield is very small, like one sip and the beverage is gone. ...
As an aside - so not post-Millenium - I've found that the 49mm Elektra Micro Casa a Leva single basket "works" better than the 49mm Pavoni single in my Gen 1 Europiccola. With the Pavoni basket, I had edge channels about 20% of the time; but I haven't had one yet with the Elektra basket. 7.5g dose; about 1:2 brew ratio. Note that I've used the Elektra single for years in a Micro Casa a Leva, but I can't imagine why that would make a difference.

https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... gle-basket
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada