La Pavoni Europiccola or Ponte Vecchio Export for travel setup?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
katkat

#1: Post by katkat »

In the last couple of years I have used my beloved Elektra MCAL for travel, but its large 10" base makes it difficult to make the whole kit compact (especially when also packing my Baratza Sette). I also love my MCAL so much that I hesitate to pack it for travel...

So I am looking for a more compact option and only considering machines with steaming. (I ruled out more compact options like Robot + steamer due to workflow.)

I think that a used Export may fit the bill and I like the fact that it has a pressurestat and heat management is not a big issue, but an older Eurropiccola may be a nicer addition for my small collection due to its history.

Any thoughts/advice?

PS - I am pretty set on the Lagom Mini for my travel setup.

RenaissanceCoffee

#2: Post by RenaissanceCoffee »

Having a similar dilema and going with a lagom mini

Have a Zacconi eagle I am hauling in my car but have similar issues. Maybe I should get a robot and a kettle and stop whining. I had a la pavoni professionale and wasn't too impressed with it (a new one) so I sold it. I get much better shots from my vintage Zacconi.

jtrops

#3: Post by jtrops »

The PV Export has had iffy quality control from what I understand. If that has gotten better in the last few years it wouldn't be an issue; otherwise, I'd maybe look for a vintage Sama if I really wanted an Export. I've always like the design of that machine.

I have a La Pavoni Professional, and it's been a great machine for 20 years. My machine is actually a Gaggia Factory, but it is the same machine as the millennium Pro Romantica with different styling.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I managed to break my MCaL's sight glass and bend the steam wand mount while travelling, so good call on retiring the MCaL from travel.

A Pavoni is fine and popular for travelling, although I haven't travelled with my vintage Europiccola. I did pick up the current model's plastic sight glass protector just in case I did travel.

I'm sure the PV Export would do well.

If you're not in a rush, then there is the upcoming Odyssey Argos to consider. However, as it is not available yet, I would suggest waiting until the machine has been out in the market for a while.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mborkow »

How are you transporting this equipment?

katkat (original poster)

#6: Post by katkat (original poster) »

It's intended as a setup for car travel, but having the option to send it as checked luggage (or to attempt taking it as a carry on - Link) would be nice.
I was thinking of using a case like: https://a.co/d/bA8aalm but need to spend some time on calculating dimensions together with the Lagom Mini.

(Based on a quick search) PV Export Measurements: 15.35" H x 6.3" W x 11.02" D (39 cm H x 16 cm W x 28 cm D). Height with arm in up position - 18.75" H.

LObin

#7: Post by LObin »

An old pre pstat era Europiccola (gen1 or early gen2) would make a great travel companion. They are super easy to use and rarely need servicing or pstat repair/adjustments. Great steamers too.

I don't know how solid the Export panels are. They were quite flimsy and thin on the Ponte Vecchio.

I'm guessing you need steaming hence why something like a Flair is not enough?

Btw, check the Solo38/SPTK. Great alternative to the Lagom Mini.
LMWDP #592

katkat (original poster)

#8: Post by katkat (original poster) »

LObin wrote:I'm guessing you need steaming hence why something like a Flair is not enough?
Yep...
LObin wrote: Btw, check the Solo38/SPTK. Great alternative to the Lagom Mini.
Thanks! Looks interesting and a little cheaper...

bgnome

#9: Post by bgnome »

baldheadracing wrote:I managed to break my MCaL's sight glass and bend the steam wand mount while travelling, so good call on retiring the MCaL from travel.

A Pavoni is fine and popular for travelling, although I haven't travelled with my vintage Europiccola. I did pick up the current model's plastic sight glass protector just in case I did travel.

I'm sure the PV Export would do well.

If you're not in a rush, then there is the upcoming Odyssey Argos to consider. However, as it is not available yet, I would suggest waiting until the machine has been out in the market for a while.
The Export has a casing that encloses the sight glass, so that would be a benefit in it's favor. Also, the boxy design may make packing it up a bit more convenient.

The Argos will come in a reusable box, which could be handy for transport.

bcrdukes

#10: Post by bcrdukes »

Ponte Vecchio Export owner here.

I purchased mine brand new from Ponte Vecchio directly during the peak of the pandemic. I did read a lot of old (emphasis on old) threads where people mentioned poor quality control on Ponte Vechio machines.

While there is some truth to it, it is not exactly as exaggerated as the old posts make them to be. Mine is used daily, pulling two to three shots a day and it has been a flawless machine. Having done some research, the old posts were true where they did suffer from terrible QA. Ponte Vecchio has since resolved these issues, at least to my experience.

Admittedly, even with the new machines, yes, there were some quality control issues with the one I bought, mainly a slightly bent steam pipe from shipping (no big deal, I bent it back, not the end of the world) and a few small paint chips here and there. Granted, this is what I personally consider an inexpensive lever machine and has performed well, so I got what I paid for, but very happy with it. It works, and it pulls wonderful shots.

If you need perfection, this is not the machine for you. Run far away from it and see if you can erase any trace of memory of ever knowing that this machine ever existed. :D Joke aside, I can't speak for a La Pavoni as I have never owned one, but if you can find a used Export with a solid maintenance history, go for it (I never lucked out so I bought new.) Otherwise, I would not hesitate to take a chance on a new model.

One needs to keep in mind that Ponte Vecchio is a small operation. The workforce may have required some time to learn the trade and to make their transition from the old days of Sama. I suspect a lot of their machines are hand built and do not have the same level of technology, training, and quality controls as say Rocket, La Marzocco, Bezzera and what have you. I took a chance on Ponte Vecchio and to this day, it has paid off. (Famous last words hahaha)
LMWDP #685