La Pavoni Europiccola or Ponte Vecchio Export for travel setup? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bgnome

#11: Post by bgnome »

1st-Line is in Jersey and seems to be about an hour away from Philadelphia. They often have Exports available on the Sidewalk Sale, along with quite a few other deals. It may be worth the drive to go check out: https://www.1st-line.com/shop/sale/sidewalk-sales/

mrgnomer

#12: Post by mrgnomer »

I've had pre millennium Europiccola for a while. Used it as a travel machine a few times. Paired it with a Zassenhaus hand grinder. Worked pretty good. The Europiccola is light, robust, consistent and dependable.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

Advertisement
poison

#13: Post by poison »

bgnome wrote:1st-Line is in Jersey and seems to be about an hour away from Philadelphia. They often have Exports available on the Sidewalk Sale, along with quite a few other deals. It may be worth the drive to go check out: https://www.1st-line.com/shop/sale/sidewalk-sales/
I called and tried to talk them into sending me one, I'd grab one in a heartbeat if they would. I just want to try a lever machine, and that seems to be the cheapest and most forgiving entry point.

katkat (original poster)

#14: Post by katkat (original poster) »

bgnome wrote:1st-Line is in Jersey and seems to be about an hour away from Philadelphia. They often have Exports available on the Sidewalk Sale
Yes, that's what I was eyeing.... so I took the plunge yesterday, drove there and got 2 machines - a black for me and an orange for my friend. Both machines were brand new, closed box. 1st-line is discontinuing the sale of these machines and hence the low price (also no warranty beyond 15 days.) The machines came with metal tampers. Sweet deal! 1st-Line also tested the machines before I came and they were ready for me for inspection - great service!

So far I lowered the pressure, because the water seemed way too hot and made a few nice espressos, a cappuccino and a cortado. It's definitely a great steamer! I also noticed that this machine needs a very light tamp. The only basic thing I am missing is a dosing funnel... I know OE has one but I am still trying to find a very cheap or DIY option.

I ordered the Monoprice Hard Case with Customizable Foam, 22 x 14 x 10 case - RETURNED - way too small w/wheel wells - smaller than interior dimensions in spec

I will report back soon. Thanks all for the advice!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#15: Post by baldheadracing »

katkat wrote:The only thing I am missing is a dosing funnel... I know OE has one but I am still trying to find a very cheap or DIY option.
IIRC, a cut-down yogurt container was the original dosing funnel. I cut-down a plastic bottle for multi-vitamins and got a perfect fit for my 57mm basket machine.

Have fun with the Export!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

bcrdukes

#16: Post by bcrdukes »

Congrats, katkat! Hope you enjoy the machine.

Too bad they are discontinuing the sale of the machines. I wished they would gain more adoption and popularity because biasedly, I do believe they are great machines.

I am curious how you lowered the pressure. Please let me know and thanks!
LMWDP #685

katkat (original poster)

#17: Post by katkat (original poster) »

bcrdukes wrote:I am curious how you lowered the pressure. Please let me know and thanks!
Pressurestat in the base of the machine. 180 degrees turn to the (-) direction. Now it seems about right, similar to my MCAL. I might check with a steam wand manometer at a later point.

Advertisement
poison

#18: Post by poison »

Is it first line discontinuing, or PV?

katkat (original poster)

#19: Post by katkat (original poster) replying to poison »

I am unaware of a broader decision. Seemed to me like a local 1st line decision.

poison

#20: Post by poison »

I hope so. Im looking at the vectis and the lusso, I'd hate to see options narrow.