La Pavoni Europiccola (Millenium) Shower Screen Leaking

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Chubby_Russian

#1: Post by Chubby_Russian »

Hello!

First time posting after reading this forum for a bit.

The shower screen on my Millenium Europiccola is dripping profusely.

It all started after I replaced the plastic sleeve with a steel one from here.

I have replaced the piston gaskets twice - to no avail. I have these installed right now.

I have replaced the sleeve gasket twice - no use.

I have replaced the shower screen gasket (MPN-55) twice - does not help.

It keeps "raining" throughout operation. It does not stop dripping as the pressure increases. It stops dripping for a few seconds when I raise the level a little bit, but then it starts again.

I am completely at a loss. I would greatly appreciate any insights.

ojt

#2: Post by ojt »

First culprit in these cases is usually the piston gaskets installed wrong. The upper gasket's open end needs to point up and the lower one's down.

I assume the sleeve is screwed in enough :)

You don't also happen to have the piston / brew pressure gauge? If you do there's a chance to get a leak from between the piston and the piston rod. You'd need to put some teflon tape or thread lock in there.

I have the same sleeve and have no issues with it. Mine was quite hard to screw in.. if there's an issue with the sleeve itself just contact Tudor at coffee-sensor, he's quite helpful.
Osku

stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

Piston gasket installed wrong as mentioned above yes,
sleeve replaced ok,
sleeve O-ring?
piston in ryton or brass?

is the leak between piston and sleeve or
sleeve and grouphead?
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Chubby_Russian (original poster)

#4: Post by Chubby_Russian (original poster) »

Thank you for your prompt response, ojt.

The piston gaskets face the way you describe.

I do have the pressure gauge, yes. The one from naked portafilter. It has never occurred to me that the piston rod may be the culprit! I will try tightening it and adding some tape.

It was very tough to screw in the sleeve, yes. I injured my hand the first time I tried :oops: I screwed it as tight as I could while still aligning the inlet hole opposite the the boiler. Is there a way to know if it is tight enough?

ojt

#5: Post by ojt »

Chubby_Russian wrote:It was very tough to screw in the sleeve, yes. I injured my hand the first time I tried I screwed it as tight as I could while still aligning the inlet hole opposite the the boiler. Is there a way to know if it is tight enough?
Sounds good to me. Check the piston vs rod though.. that's a common leak. A few rounds of tape should do it.
Osku

Chubby_Russian (original poster)

#6: Post by Chubby_Russian (original poster) »

You were spot on, ojt! It was the connection between the rod and the piston. Tightening it reduced the leak, while adding tape stopped it completely. Thank you very much for your help!

stefano65, thank you for your input too. I like your store =)