La Pavoni Europiccola input/output?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
affogato_toast

#1: Post by affogato_toast »

Was wondering what other La Pavoni Europiccola owners typically shoot for in terms of input and output. I typically put in 12-13g of coffee (using the double shot basket) and had a measured yield today of 33g. Is there an optimal range or ratio I should try to achieve?

RobAnybody

#2: Post by RobAnybody »

Hi!
That would depend on your taste preference and the type of coffee you're using, but most of all what the end result tastes like.
There is a short introduction to tuning the taste here:
Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste
Though it is more aimed at 58mm systems, the idea is the same.
In my (limited) experience, darker roasts taste better with shorter pulls (no fellini move or wiggling at the top, and stopping early if needed) and lighter roasts do better with the 12.5g in 33 - 34 gram out. Others (with more experience) will probably have more suggestions to offer.
Cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

Ron

#3: Post by Ron »

I personally like a 1.5 ratio or a bit above on any of my three espresso machines, including La Pavoni. I usually don't have to weigh the shot because a single pull on the LP gives me between 1.5 and 2 and the exact number doesn't matter so much as long as the extraction is adequate. My dose can easily go up to 13.5. I find that getting the portafilter and group head very hot in advance helps to lock in a higher dose, maybe because of expansion.

affogato_toast (original poster)

#4: Post by affogato_toast (original poster) »

Thank you, Rob and Ron! I will refer to the guide and do some testing. Unfortunately, my scale doesn't quite fit under the cup, so output will necessarily involve some guesswork. Today's example was a medium/light roast and turned out pretty tasty at the given ratio, although I'd like to see if I can't tweak a little more!

guijan12

#5: Post by guijan12 »

Like Rob wrote: it depends on your taste preference and coffee used.

I normally have a medium roasted bean and grind 15 gr with a 1:2 ratio.
Currently I'm having a real Italian, very dark roasted cafe Borbone and went back to 9 gr in, 30 gr out (1:3,3).
Play with your settings and adjust to the aging beans. :mrgreen:
Regards,

Guido

vit

#6: Post by vit »

On my machines (Flair, cheap SBDU, home made espressso machine) I'm using rations between 1.5 (or slightly less) and 3.5. It really depends on combination of coffee, temperature used, my taste, current mood, espresso or milk drink etc. Generally, but not always, I'm using longer ratios with lighter roasts

Depends also on grinder. I was using Feldgrind previusly and everything above 1.8-2.0 tasted bad. With Kinu and Lido, longer ratios work much better

Danner

#7: Post by Danner »

13g in ~33g out is consistent with the Pavoni Pro for a full lever stroke. Stopping the shot early to suit your taste makes sense. A lo-fi method to regulate output would be to watch or mark the top of the piston.

Flounder

#8: Post by Flounder »

Greetings, I am a newbie to the La pavoni . I have a millennium model. When pulling a 14g dose in a double cup my output is about 10g. Is this a problem with the machine? Am I correct in thinking that no matter the grind, or tamp the machine should pull the same amount of water ?
I am pre infusing for 10 seconds when water starts coming through the PF. Just double checking before I waste lots of time and bean, dialing in and learning. Thank you.

ojt

#9: Post by ojt »

Flounder wrote:When pulling a 14g dose in a double cup my output is about 10g.
10g total? No, that's way too little. You have something off there. Maybe a leak somewhere? Bad gaskets? Slightly unscrewed piston?
Osku

Flounder

#10: Post by Flounder replying to ojt »

Thanks for your response OJT. No external leaks, could it be internally leaking back into the group head? boiler? Even with a strong tamp the lever takes very little pressure to push.