La Pavoni Europiccola grouphead (huge MODIFICATION)

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
stevenD

#1: Post by stevenD »

Hi everybody,
Considering the known grouphead temperature issues, I was wondering if anyone of you have tried to make this huge modification:
Move the group, that is to say completely separate it from the boiler. It would just be connected to it by the copper pipe. This means that we have to imagine a new support for the grouphead. I can make a little drawing to show my idea...
I would love to try. Do you think that this could solve the problems of temperature rising? Or this is a non sense? :D

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Do you mean like this?

La Pavoni Eurobar First Model Up Close
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

stevenD (original poster)

#3: Post by stevenD (original poster) »

Yes, something like that but simpler, lighter, more ventilated, with shorter pipes a different design but with the same ideas...
Does it solve any temperature issues? Do you think it would be an idea to dig into?

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

Using a PID to control the temperature of the neck connecting the group head to the boiler is pretty effective.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

#5: Post by stevenD (original poster) »

Does a PID allow you to multiply extractions without the grouphead getting too hot?
I was wondering if we could imagine a non destructive solution, create a little light aerial structure to hold the group head a few centimeters from the boiler. I don't know...Nobody has tried?

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk »

#7: Post by stevenD (original poster) »

Yes, it's nice and well integrated to the machine but the group head is still attached to the boiler. Sooner or later the heat spreads, right? And I am psychologically allergic to polymer :mrgreen:
And I like this beautiful eurobar la pavoni. So bad they stopped producing this model. Can't we imagine a little modification in between the eurobar and a regular lapavoni? How perform the old eurobar la pavoni in terms of heat transmission?

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

People do all kinds of mods to La Pavoni machines in order to achieve temperature stability. If you are doing many back-to-back shots, especially with the second generation steam heated group, these machines can overheat. However, you can control shot temperature effectively, even with back to back shots as I showed long ago.

Reaching the Zen Zone with a Two Switch La Pavoni

Keep in mind that these La Pavoni home levers were made to heat up quickly for a couple of morning shots. The temperature "instability" is an advantage for surfing coffees of different roast levels.

Sometimes people like to do modifications for the fun of the hobby and you get all kinds of creative solutions.

The Eurobar I wrote about has a thermosyphon for temperature stability and its temperature is controlled by a PID as a later mod, so you can set the temperature for walk-up shots. The machine originally came with a pressurestat, but I expect temperature there would still be very stable. What I like about the Eurobar design is the support provided for the group. Even there it flexes a bit with a pull, so you'll need a strong support. You would also want to avoid making the machine tippy by moving the group forward.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!