La Pavoni Europiccola damaged during shipping - still safe to use?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
KnowGood

#1: Post by KnowGood »

I bought an Europiccola off of ebay and it seems the steam shaft connection at the boiler got bent during shipping. I straightened it to the point where it started to give resistance. Looking at the picture I've uploaded, do you think this will be a problem? You can see the stress cracks in the chroming and I think that may be the worst of it, but I thought I'd ask.

Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

billm3

#2: Post by billm3 »

If it was mine, I would definitely NOT use it. A failure under pressure would be a very bad thing for anything or anyone that is nearby.

I would claim it to the shipping company, assuming there was insurance purchased or included in the price. If no shipping insurance, I would think that you are S.O.L.

One other thing to check is to verify that it was not damaged before shipping... i.e. - a dishonest seller. If all else fails, try to recoup some money from eBay/PayPal.

If you can't get any money, try bringing it or shipping it to a LaPavoni service provider for a thorough inspection before you use it.

Good luck-
Bill

samgiles

#3: Post by samgiles »

I had exactly the same thing happen to me so I feel your pain.

La Pavoni Europiccola damaged by postal gorillas...

I actually tried firing my one up which was probably a little foolish. I got steam escaping from both where you've shown and also the base of the steam valve assembly (they were both bashed in.) My machine has been relegated to spare parts as I've no idea how one would go about repairing the dents in the boiler. My attempts at getting compensation were futile with NZ Post. I'll be watching closely to see if anyone has a repair solution. Good luck.
Sam.
LMWDP #169

KnowGood (original poster)

#4: Post by KnowGood (original poster) »

Thanks for replying. I did the same and fired it up. There are no leaks of water or steam. Looking at your pics I can clearly see yours being "pushed" in. Mine doesn't look as bad as yours, but who knows? I'm pretty sure it is mostly cosmetic at this point, but I'm going to try and see if I can get it looked at and pressure tested just to play it safe.
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

Fullsack

#5: Post by Fullsack »

I put a Europiccola under more pressure than the safety release valve could handle and it blew the heating element gasket, so pressure would probably release first from the safety valve and then from the element gasket before finding the weak spot in the boiler. If there is a boiler fissure, you will more than likely hear a hissing noise, not an explosion. In any event, proceed with caution.

If it is of any comfort, my frequently used Europiccola had a bent steam shaft connection. I did the same fix and I'm still here to tell the tale.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

KnowGood (original poster)

#6: Post by KnowGood (original poster) »

Fullsack wrote: If it is of any comfort, my frequently used Europiccola had a bent steam shaft connection. I did the same fix and I'm still here to tell the tale.
Thanks Doug for the reassurance. I ended up emailing Francesco Ciccarelli via http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/index_eng.htm. He told me "don't worry, often the machines arrive damaged." and explained how to go about fixing it, which was to pull gently with two fingers until reaching the right position. It's not quite as straight as it should be, but I started feeling resistance, and decided to stop. With that said, I've run it about a half dozen times or so, looking at every connection carefully and can safely say that it is working as it should. This is my first espresso machine and I wasn't sure if a lever was for me, but I'm pretty sure I made the right choice - I'm a perfectionist and love a challenge. I'm also one of those people that once I'm into something, I'm really into it.

Thanks to everyone that responded and all those that have posted their problems and fix's here at H-B and the internet.
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

Lvx

#7: Post by Lvx »

Francesco is the Italian guru for La Pavoni.
And a good friend of mine, as well. 8)

billm3

#8: Post by billm3 »

KnowGood wrote:I've run it about a half dozen times or so, looking at every connection carefully and can safely say that it is working as it should.
Excellent! Enjoy. I used my eBay LaPav for a few years before I moved to an Alexia as my main machine. Learned a ton about the art and randomness of espresso with the LaPav. Still use the it at work and traveling.

BTW - Doug/"Fullsack", is that a Pelican case with the La Pav in it for your avatar?

GREAT IDEA :!:

I hope you don't mind a copycat... something about the greatest form of flattery... :wink:

-Bill

stefano65
Sponsor

#9: Post by stefano65 »

Sometimes is only the chrome that chips
sometimes goes through
try firing it up and see

claim is always the best way to go
UNLESS the machine was poorly pakage
then is just a waste of time

so in the case if is only the chrome
you can pulll it back out
remove the grouphead ( 2 bolts)
remove the nut inside replace the copper washer and should be ok
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

espressme

#10: Post by espressme »

Lvx wrote:Francesco is the Italian guru for La Pavoni.
And a good friend of mine, as well. 8)
Love the montage!!
-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,