La Pavoni Europiccola boiler pressure too high

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
LakayM

#1: Post by LakayM » Oct 04, 2019, 11:10 pm

Hello,

I recently installed a pressure gauge on my Europiccola (Millennium), and was surprised that it indicated my machine was cycling on and off at a boiler pressure of 1.2 - 1.3 bar. I understand that the normal setting would be in the range of .8 bar, and I would appreciate your suggestions on how to proceed:

1. Could the pressure gauge be miscalibrated, even though it rests at zero when cold?

2. I checked if I could adjust the pressurestat, but the previous owner appears to have wrapped a cable tie around it which I could not move (see picture)

3. The boiler is clean, and I do not see scaling in the opening of the tube to the pressurestat: do you suggest I disconnect the pressurestat and check the tube for scaling, or would this be a difficult operation and require a special sealant to put back?

4. Could the pressurestat itself be malfunctioning and require replacement?

Thanks -

SeekingGodShots2

#2: Post by SeekingGodShots2 » Oct 05, 2019, 12:25 am

1.2 to 1.3 is on the upper end of acceptable pressure. What's the high and low range when the pressurestat cycles?

You can snip off the cable tie with a pair of mini-diagonal wire cutter. In the same orientation, turn to the right or clock-wise a few clicks and cycle your machine - that is toward the black plastic block. Mark the setting and take a photo for reference if you must adjust it further.
LMWDP #548

LakayM

#3: Post by LakayM » Oct 05, 2019, 1:03 am

The pressurestat turns on at 1.2 and off at 1.3.

Any idea why the previous owner may have covered the adjustment ring with the cable tie? I'm afraid of breaking something if I force the ring to turn.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary » Oct 09, 2019, 10:59 pm

Pressure should be set at 0.8 or 0.9 bar, so you can cruise below brew temperature and use half pumps to pull shots at the desired temperature. If you haven't done so it's well worth adding a thermometer or a temperature strip to the outside of the group.

Also I see the start of rust. You'll want to take care of that now because it can get out of hand on machines like yours, where the base is made of plain steel and chrome-plated on top. The rust usually starts developing if there's a steam leak somewhere.

Maybe the prior owner set the pressure incorrectly and put the cable tie over it so no one would change it? Some of these La Pavoni pressurestats are sealed with paint so you can't change the settings.

How to adjust the LaPavoni / Gaggia pressurestat
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!