La Pavoni Europiccola 2nd gen wiring experts needed

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

I'm having issues with wiring a 2nd gen LPE. I added a new led light and attempted some modes since the light does not come wirh spade connectors. Element appears always on when plugged in and light is also on now when plugged in.

Added thermal switch in case anyone is wondering.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

There's a wiring diagram in our thread on building the Ultimate Europiccola, but it's different than Pat's more appropriate version below.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

The wiring for that model with the hi-off-low three way switch with pilot lamp is different from all other Pavoni, and can be confusing. Francesco Ceccarelli's site has a picture here and a diagram here.

That wiring is a bit of a headscratcher because of the way the lamp is powered from either side and is wired so the neutral side of the light current goes thru the unused element. Here's a crude drawing that follows the Ceccarelli wiring picture that might help:

In that image, when the switch is on low, the blue wire side of the lamp and the low element both get voltage from the switch. The trickle of current from the lamp goes to the neutral wire via the high power element. When on high, it's the other way around with the brown wire side of the lamp and the high element getting full voltage, and the trickle of current through the lamp getting to neutral via the low element.

When it's off (switch in the middle) neither the lamp nor either element gets power.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

redbone (original poster)

#4: Post by redbone (original poster) »

^
^^^
^^^^
Will give that a shot. Thanks gents

Edit: It works now. I think I over complicated a simple design using another diagram. Big thanks again. :D
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

redbone (original poster)

#5: Post by redbone (original poster) »

I added a 125c thermal switch to the mix for safety reasons. Just an FYI that 125c (257F) is to low as it cuts out shortly after the safety valve hisses but does reset itself within 1-2 minute. It Could be my switch is defective. I went with 125c since the LP oem version was rated at 127c.
The one advantage is that it's minimizing overheating on subsequent shots compared to a previous 2nd gen.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549