La Pavoni Eurobar conversion to lever. Possible?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnTheBastard

#1: Post by JohnTheBastard »

Anyone know how much difference there is between the lever and pump models of the La Pavoni Eurobar?
Phrased differently, how absurd of a project would it be to convert a model with a pump into a lever machine?

From the photos I've seen, it looks like they share a lot of parts with the Europiccola, which would maybe make restoration/conversion a bit less expensive than it might otherwise be.

Has anyone converted one from 240v to 110v? Can I power one from a US 220v outlet, or does US split phase require different circuitry?
LMWDP#745

pulling sour shots since 1996

truemagellen

#2: Post by truemagellen »

Ryan Lee has some great photos of the inside of the eurobar lever internals

I believe the frame can handle it with slight reinforcement.

The issue is the eurobar lever is a thermosyphon and the LP eurocopila is a dipper so the group is not plumbed for this

Also if I recall the pump version is a cold pump feed HX which means it is not running a thermosyphon loop or perhaps it is I am not sure but that is a complication to consider. A similar setup would be Bezzera strega

I suppose you could run this to a plate the group bolts too to provide circulated heated water and to feed the group.

Good luck would love to see the work if u can do this

JohnTheBastard (original poster)

#3: Post by JohnTheBastard (original poster) »

I hadn't realized that the pump model doesn't use a thermosiphon. The thermosiphon is my main motivator to upgrade from a Romantica, but maybe there's not as much need to preheat the group for the pump model. Here is the internals of the pump and lever machines side by side (latter stolen from one of Ryan's threads). The layout looks similar.

The pump model doesn't have a fill cap, so I assume it's meant to be plumbed into a water source, which could be nice. But I don't know enough about thermosiphons to know if those things are mutually exclusive.

Here's a pic of Ryan's group. It looks like a fitting could be threaded into a modern LP group?

LMWDP#745

JohnTheBastard (original poster)

#4: Post by JohnTheBastard (original poster) »

I found this thread of a thermosiphon espresso machine built with some regular Europiccola parts (pretty slick, btw). So at least in theory, I think a conversion should be possible, though a non-trivial amount of machining and brazing appears to be required. Sadly, the person who built it doesn't appear to have been active on the forum in about 4 years.

LMWDP#745