La Pavoni early heating elements - a lesson on volume - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone (original poster)

#31: Post by redbone (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Rob,

I thought those terminals looked long before seeing the second photo. I wonder about another non-standard aspect, the split vertical coils. Will they clear the dipper tube? And will the flow characteristics change by having coils side by side instead of concentrically centered? I suppose that only testing will tell you.
Height is below dip tube as copper coils must be water submerged during operation as not to burn out.
I left a complete boiler with element manufacturer for testing of spacing.
Initially he built one a bit wide touching the bottom of sight glass nut.
If you take a look at the top pic above of sample, the height is similar to original.
Flow characteristics won't be affected since tube pulls water above coils.
I was concerned about lessened surface contact area . Two vs three coils on larger wattage coil means less coil to water volume contact.
Coil manufacturer assured me that since water volume is small, I would not notice a difference.
He also stated that we are comfortably below the coil Watt density values.
Lower watt density equals longer coil life.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#32: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Just received. Ready for 2nd fitting attempt and if successful further testing.

Threaded lead uses a 10/32 screw directly into lead. No nut required.

Ten minutes to steam ready with full boiler on high position.
Even temperature stability on low setting.

Photo below of new element installed inside boiler. Used a flexible usb inspection camera.
No intrusion of the element to either wall of boiler or dip tube.

Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#33: Post by redbone (original poster) »

I've been using the newly minted LPE dual element almost exclusively for a week now.

Observations:
* slightly greater 2min heatup time from cold with full boiler using both elements on vs oem 200/600. The 200/800 is 5min quicker.
* more stable temperature on low setting while pulling shot.
* all else functions and acts same as either oem or refurb Gabor element.

Will give the go ahead to complete the other elements for early September, tentatively.
Based on costs of production I increased the volume to 15 units to offset the setup costs.
One time run. Plan to keep 6 and make available the remaining 9 for sale.

This project started from my frustration of readily available <1 month replacement options.

Below LPE 1st gen 1974 with 3way toggle and new element installed.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

drgary
Team HB

#34: Post by drgary »

Now that your element maker has the spec and it's tested, perhaps there's a next step in offering these ongoing, if not through you, the "how" would need to be determined. What are your thoughts?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#35: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to drgary »

The element maker is not the maker of the complete unit since it involves both a machined base and the elements placed on.
This was a multi step process.
I commissioned the AutoCad drawing by a local company. Found a suitable machine shop to make the brass bases. Elements designed, manufactured and brazed in place by the element company. All companies involved required an original element and boiler for measuring.
Three step process involving three different companies. Two steps now on future builds.
Took months to source willing and able manufacturers within a reasonable cost factor.

Based on the few responses here on this thread I don't foresee a demand beyond a few niche individuals.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

drgary
Team HB

#36: Post by drgary »

Rob,

I've just started a new, general discussion on this type of challenge and welcome your comments there. Thanks for making this effort to show how it can be done.

How to Support New Parts Fabrication for Vintage Gear
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#37: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Thanks Gary,
This was really a self gratifying self satisfying project to address my needs as opposed to a money maker.
In the process I think I may save others aggravation and may even rescue what might have remained shelved vintage machines.
It can be done, to what effort and cost is up to each individual.
I enjoyed the challenge but won't feel gratified until I get the remainder of the machined bases completed with elements, as they've been postponed by the manufacturer a few times now.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#38: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Just came back from the element manufacturer. Here are a couple of interesting machines used to make elements.
This should explain why it's no easy d.i.y. exercise involving specific machinery.

This machine vibrates a fine sand that surrounds the heating wire within the copper tube.

This machine bends the coils to shape.

Here they are.

Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

tohenk2

#39: Post by tohenk2 »

redbone wrote:Just came back from the element manufacturer. Here are a couple of interesting machines used to make elements.
This should explain why it's no easy d.i.y. exercise involving specific machinery.

This machine vibrates a fine sand that surrounds the heating wire within the copper tube.
<image>

This machine bends the coils to shape.
<image>

Here they are.

<image>
That explains some things :D But great to see such a determination to see things through!

(Hey, maybe that vibration thingy is usable for even distribution of ground coffee :twisted: )

#40: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Months ago due to frustration in wait times getting LP heating elements converted from 220v to 120v, I decided to make (commission) my own.
Issue was that I had to make many more than I would ever need. This was self-gratifying project knowing that I could not be competitive making a complete element from scratch as opposed to the tubular element swap option whereby the same base is used.

I settled on the loss and lifetime ownership of many LPE elements but decided to place them on Ebay while continuing to drop the price figuring some gain beats a greater loss.

Luck would have it that I received a contact for all my remaining elements. A deal was struck.
Happy to conclude this thread, my adventure and shared experience.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549