La Pavoni DIY Naked Portafilter - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Heckie

Postby Heckie » Oct 07, 2010, 9:35 pm

Ray-
Nice NAKED PF, Sweet!

RayJohns

Postby RayJohns » Oct 08, 2010, 1:32 am

Thanks!

BTW, here's a picture of it now. I ordered a new stainless steel stud for it (since the OEM stud had rusted quite a bit in the handle). The new stud was 60mm in length, which was a bit longer than the factory one. In order to help offset the extra length, I installed a nice brass sleeve. I think it gives a slightly more finished look.

Here's a photo:

Slow Turtle

Postby Slow Turtle » Oct 14, 2010, 1:19 pm

Hi Ray -- I just stumbled on this forum and your post about the naked portafilter. Nice work!

Question: what is the advantage of a naked portafilter? Is it just to better observe the extraction as it immediately exits the basket? Other than being able to observe (and adjust grind/tamp based on this data) does it affect espresso quality?

RayJohns

Postby RayJohns » Oct 14, 2010, 6:36 pm

Thanks Brian! It's mainly to be able to observe the extraction in real time. By being able to watch it from start to finish, you can control things better and have a better idea of how the grind and tamp are affecting the outcome. As a result, I think being able to do this does improve your shots. The espresso is also in contact with less metal during the pull, so there is maybe slightly less influence due to contact with the metal of the portafilter/spout, etc.

After using it, I would never go back to the old method I don't think.

Ray

Anvan

Postby Anvan » Apr 03, 2011, 8:29 pm

Ray - thanks for posting such a helpful set of instructions and photos. I'd wanted to make one of these for a long time but until your posting it never occurred to me to use a hole saw.

So this afternoon (there in my drill box - to my astonishment - was a 1-7/8 bi-metal hole saw) I went for it and had no problems at all. After employing a few grinding and polishing bits from a hobbying Moto-tool, I was able to mimic your outstanding finish pretty well - I doubt it even took an hour. (By the way, my saw had a pilot bit, which probably made centering the cut even easier -- of course after removing the dual spout from the portafilter.

So here's another vote for Ray's method - very simple and has great results. I'll spare everyone the videos of the resulting shots but it's GREAT to FINALLY be able to see the results of all that care in grinding, distribution and tamping just right to prevent channeling in the filter basket - not to mention all that crema coming through intact.

So thanks again!

cannonfodder
Team HB

Postby cannonfodder » Apr 04, 2011, 1:31 pm

A hole saw and drill press are the easiest ways to cut out a portafilter.

How To Make Your Own Naked Portafilter
Dave Stephens

dergitarrist

Postby dergitarrist » Apr 04, 2011, 3:35 pm

Not sure about easiest... but probably most widely accessible. ;)

LMWDP #324