La Pavoni 1974 single switch

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
18g

#1: Post by 18g »

Got my first lever machine today, a La Pavoni from 1974. The power button is a single switch and has 3 positions (I - 0 - II). When do I use pos 1 and 2? :oops: And how do I know when the machine is ready to pull a shot(no pressure gauge)? The light doesn't seem to turn off, it stays on.
Any help much appreciated.

rpavlis

#2: Post by rpavlis »

I have always been confused by 1974 La Pavoni models. Were both first and second generation La Pavoni machines made that year?

Both first generation machines and many second generation machines have two heating elements. Some seem to have a 200 watt and a 600 watt one, others a 200 watt and 800 watt one. The idea is that one switches both elements on to heat up the machine, and when the relief valve starts hissing, it is up to pressure, and then should switch to the low heating element position. That is what the numbers 1 and 2 stand for on later early models. Still later they used a general on off switch plus one that turns off the high wattage element to leave just the low wattage one on. It should gently hiss with just the low wattage one on. (Very early machines have a two position switch, which selects between one or both elements. These machines cannot be turned off, and must be disconnected from power when not in use. One should do that anyway!!!)

Some first generation machines can be fitted with a pressure gauge, many very early ones cannot. I do not think one is really needed.

Once the machine gets up to pressure and starts to hiss one can turn the high power element off with the switch. My technique with a 1964 machine is to prepare and load the portafilter whilst the machine is heating up. When it starts to hiss I raise the handle momentarily to release a bit of water, using a ramekin to catch the water, and then pump the handle up and down rapidly about four times, being careful not to release any more water. Then I turn off the second element, and then I attach the portafilter and make the shot. (This is NOT what you do with a second generation machine. The first generation machines are, in my opinion the best La Pavonis ever.)

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

I think Mike is describing a version 1.7 Europiccola, which has a low/off/high switch. The middle position is off. It's the last of the first generation machines that had the best heat dissipating group. That version also has a removable shower screen, a drip tray and grate, a sightglass, and two elements similar to what Robert describes.

Here's the reference page on Francesco Ceccarelli's site:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... 12_eng.htm
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

18g (original poster)

#4: Post by 18g (original poster) replying to drgary »

Yes, this is the machine I have. Is there a manual somewhere online for this machine? If I understand Robert right I should start with pos 2 and when the hissing starts, switch to pos 1? But to go from pos 2 to pos 1 I would have to turn the machine off, is this right?

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

It's a rocker switch. Eezee. Francesco may have posted manual if you search his site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

crazy4espresso

#6: Post by crazy4espresso »

Congrats on the machine. I haven't looked at the 1974 manual, but if it's anything like many other Italian manuals for lever espresso machines, they basically say "Pull once for single shot, pull twice for a double"; pretty vague and essentially useless. Your best source of information on these machines is right here, and DrGary and rpavlis have posted more on these machines than anyone else on this forum, I suspect. Start reading! :D
There is a wealth of information here. Welcome!
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Basically other than the very rare Eurobar, which I haven't experienced, I think the 1974 Europiccola is the best manual lever La Pavoni ever made. It's hard to pull a bad shot on it. Francesco Ceccarelli, the world expert on home levers, thinks you don't need more than one of these 1st gen La Pavonis.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Advertisement
18g (original poster)

#8: Post by 18g (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your input! I still don't understand how to use the switch. I have tried both 1 and 2 and I'm getting very low volume shots. Have watched a lot of videos on youtube and seems to me its possible to get 20-30g output with a single pull, but I'm getting nowhere close to that.
drgary wrote:I think Mike is describing a version 1.7 Europiccola, which has a low/off/high switch. The middle position is off. It's the last of the first generation machines that had the best heat dissipating group. That version also has a removable shower screen, a drip tray and grate, a sightglass, and two elements similar to what Robert describes.

Here's the reference page on Francesco Ceccarelli's site:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... 12_eng.htm
How do you remove the shower screen?

18g (original poster)

#9: Post by 18g (original poster) »

I found the info on how to use the switch on this page: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... ration.htm
Seems to be very similar way to Roberts method except he doesn't release any water. Robert can I ask why you pump handle rapidly four times without releasing any water?

[quote]
Lock your cup filter into the Group. Fill up the boiler with water past the sight glass. Screw on the boiler tank knob and make sure the steam knob is closed. Both of these tighten in a clockwise fashion. Newer machines do not have a I/II switch setting, just an on/off switch and a green light. Click here to see instructions on the newer machines. You need Acrobat Reader installed on your PC to view it. The link is in the SEAL REPLACEMENT section. Flip both switches toward you. This will turn your machine on, and also turn on the high heat setting(position II). This goes against the manual that says to make your espresso under the setting I. The video that came with the machine said to put it on setting II then back to setting I. To me it's a little confusing, but technically you are making the espresso when the switch is on setting I.
/quote]

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

The shower screen is removed by removing the portafilter gasket, which holds it in place. The volume of shots has little to do with the switch positions as long as the machine is up to pressure. If you're getting low volume, it is probably because you are insufficiently bleeding air out of the machine before the first shot. See:

Bleeding pressurestat lever machines. (Especially 2nd gen La Pavonis)

Or, if you have a 220v machine plugged into 120v power could be low, or, if the high heating element is burnt out, you may not be getting full heat on warmup so there's insufficient pressure. When you first power up on high you should get vigorous steam release at the safety valve at the upper right, and then turn it down. That's the position for warmup and steaming.
Gary
LMWDP#308