Just set up my new daily driver, Bezzera Lever - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
zix

#31: Post by zix »

OK, guys, thanks for the encouragement and the tips about gaskets :) OK, I will see if I can find gaskets and will turn the machine off. It is off for the weekend now anyhow, so here is hoping that the spring hasn't caught too much rust.
LMWDP #047

zix

#32: Post by zix »

Oh well, guys... whaddayasay? Is this spring saveable?

Have already ordered the piston gaskets. Hey, there was no centering ring...
LMWDP #047

Advertisement
zix

#33: Post by zix »

View down the cylinder. Not as bad as it might look. There is a place that feels a little uneven, which is visible in the image (a line above the water entry hole) where I guess the top gasket has been resting. Hope I can get that nice and smooth again. Is a cloth with a mild copper cleaner allowed?

LMWDP #047

zix

#34: Post by zix »

To me, it looks like limescale on the spring, mostly. I thought I'd put it in some group cleaner, or perhaps some citric acid. Don't have access to an ultrasound cleaner, I hear they are very good otherwise.
LMWDP #047

zix

#35: Post by zix »

Letting the spring swim in some boiler cleaner today. Gaskets arrive some time next week, I hope.
Meanwhile, mr Robot will do double duty in the office.
LMWDP #047

zix

#36: Post by zix »

Black spring after cleaning bath. Surprise!
It doesn't really look rusty anywhere, as far as I can see at least.
Should I cover the spring with a thin layer of silicone (Molykote)? Seems it would like that.
LMWDP #047

D Hoge (original poster)

#37: Post by D Hoge (original poster) »

Zix, sorry to hear your Bezzera is down. Good job cleaning up the spring and replacing the seals. Hope it's back up and running
My machine was down for some maintenance also and I've been to busy to keep you guys updated. I'll catch up when I have a minute, cheers.
Derek

Advertisement
zix

#38: Post by zix »

Thanks for chiming in :) will update again once I get the new gaskets on.
LMWDP #047

D Hoge (original poster)

#39: Post by D Hoge (original poster) »

So like I said yesterday, my Bezzera had been down for a couple weeks, but she's back up and running now.
I burnt out a heating element and from the looks of it it ran dry.
So I ordered another one from, Brooks espresso.
I was able to take the old one and cut off the elements with a grinder and use it as a cap. Worked fine with a custom cut gasket. That way I could run some tests and try to figure out what happened. Boiler filled up fine and coil closed once it filled. But the element was hot (powered) even when it was empty. So I got back ahold of Brooks and ordered two new probes, low and high H2O, also a new gicar water level module.
Trying to take out old probe nut that is mounted on the side, I sheared off the top part. So I had to drill it out at a last resort and re tap with 3/8" npt, luckily there is two probe ports on top of the machine, so I capped the side hole.
After receiving parts and putting back together, I started with just new element and new low H2O probe. She fired right up and has been running fine. So I assume it was the low water probe, grounding out on the boiler, making it think it was always full. I believe it ran low on H2O due to the fact that I had originally installed a whole house pressure regulator with no gauge and had it set to low. Remember that the water pressure has to be more than the boiler pressure to allow water in.
Long story short, it's back running and I've learned a tremendous amount about her. Funny, I was so intimidated, by her when she first arrived. But now I've learned so much and realize just how simple the machine really is.
On another note, most if not all of the boiler fittings and steam valve connector are metric not BSP. Brooks was super helpful and I can't say enough about their customer service. Top Notch!
Derek

zix

#40: Post by zix »

Hoses, tubing and their connections is one of the few areas where even us metriculous people still use imperial, now and then.
I am very impressed! Great job, D Hoge, I have never dared venture that far into the innards of my Bezzie.
LMWDP #047