Just got my ACS Vostok 1 group (Pics) - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Primacog

#61: Post by Primacog »

DaveC wrote:This is exactly what it looks like on a standard UK depth 600 mm countertop. The part that juts out near the hob is more than 600 mm due to the design of my kitchen. The Nurri Leva is backed right up against the wall. The front overhangs very slightly. It's also important to consider the height of your wall sockets if you want to use a smart switch. I had to use an extension cord with the smart switch there to allow me to get the machine as close as possible to the wall.

the plastic sheet is there to protect the countertop as the machine was an early version with metal feet. I did comment the wood was a bit too thin, I believe he made it thicker in later models. With the positioning under the cupboards, filling was slightly difficult. I had to use an oil type filler jug with a flexible spout.

In comparison a Vesuvius Evo Leva (Alpha version) on the same standard 600 mm depth counter looks like this when pushed up around 3-5cm from the wall. I should also mention that the particular cupboard it is under is around 20mm lower than the cupboard the Nurri is under...which Is why I had to put the Nurri on the other counter:

The Nurri machine takes up more space on the countertop and was a little too large for my kitchen. I hope this helps people.
Dave, your kitchen cabinets look quite low though- my own kitchen cabinets appear to be quite a bit higher than that to the degree that I would be able to access the water tank if my machine weren't plumbed in.

In fact it doesn't look like the vostok will fit under your cabinets - is that right?

My counter is however more shallow than yours - it's only about 56 to 57cm deep. Despite that, my Nurri fits on my counter without any overhang and its not even flush against the wall - there's still a small gap between the back of the machine and the wall. In the circumstancss I'm not sure why the early nurri machine you were reviewing was slightly overhanging on a your 60cm counter depth ...

I find though that whether a machine looks big or not is not so much its depth but its height and width. With its sloping front and narrower width, the nurri doesn't look too big for its perch so to speak. On the other hand the evo is slightly taller than the nurri which will make it look bigger when seen square on.

On overhang, the feet of the nurri are actually at least 4 cm set back from the edge of the drip tray. Hence even if there is a little overhang on your counter, it doesn't affect the machine's stability.

On power points, the part of the machine that is furthest back is right at the top and the back then slopes radically backwards. Hence there is a gap to be able to access the power point at the back of the machine. Alternatively you can position the machine next to a power point like what I did with my machine and the power cord is more than long enough to reach such a power point without needing an extension cord. There may not be enough space for a smart timer in that V shaped gap at the back of the machine but there would be no issue if the machine is placed next to the power point. In any event with a 15 minute warm up ability, I never needed a smart timer with the nurri unlike the case with the izzo pompei that needed at least 45 minutes.
LMWDP #729

bakafish

#62: Post by bakafish »

DaveC wrote:With the positioning under the cupboards, filling was slightly difficult. I had to use an oil type filler jug with a flexible spout.

In comparison a Vesuvius Evo Leva (Alpha version) on the same standard 600 mm depth counter looks like this when pushed up around 3-5cm from the wall. I should also mention that the particular cupboard it is under is around 20mm lower than the cupboard the Nurri is under...which Is why I had to put the Nurri on the other counter:

The Nurri machine takes up more space on the countertop and was a little too large for my kitchen. I hope this helps people.
If you put the Vesuvius Evo Leva at the place that the Nurri is used, you have to reserve a space at its left side at least 10 to 20 cm so that you can open the left side panel and fill it, so you have a perfect position to place it.

DaveC

#63: Post by DaveC »

Primacog wrote:Dave, your kitchen cabinets look quite low though- my own kitchen cabinets appear to be quite a bit higher than that to the degree that I would be able to access the water tank if my machine weren't plumbed in.

In fact it doesn't look like the vostok will fit under your cabinets - is that right?
The cabinet the Nurri is under is standard UK height, the cabinet the Evo is under is 20mm lower.

The Vostok has actually been altered to fit under my lowest cabinet, even though I won't be getting one. As I felt it was best they keep the height down as much as possible. The lowering has been done via the lower feet brackets...it's in cad at the moment, so production should soon (very soon) have the slightly lower height.
Bakafish said: If you put the Vesuvius Evo Leva at the place that the Nurri is used, you have to reserve a space at its left side at least 10 to 20 cm so that you can open the left side panel and fill it, so you have a perfect position to place it.
That is correct, It's a compartmentalised construction, Wet, Hot and electronics. There is only a left hand tank option...the electronics bay is in the right compartment, as the side panels are removable individually. There is plenty of space to put the Evo where the Nurri was.

Like I said, these are just photos to help show what it's like in my kitchen I am pretty sure the average American kitchen is like the average American car...better than ours and bigger.

Primacog

#64: Post by Primacog »

DaveC wrote:The cabinet the Nurri is under is standard UK height, the cabinet the Evo is under is 20mm lower.

The Vostok has actually been altered to fit under my lowest cabinet, even though I won't be getting one. As I felt it was best they keep the height down as much as possible. The lowering has been done via the lower feet brackets...it's in cad at the moment, so production should soon (very soon) have the slightly lower height.

That is correct, It's a compartmentalised construction, Wet, Hot and electronics. There is only a left hand tank option...the electronics bay is in the right compartment, as the side panels are removable individually. There is plenty of space to put the Evo where the Nurri was.

Like I said, these are just photos to help show what it's like in my kitchen I am pretty sure the average American kitchen is like the average American car...better than ours and bigger.
I can only dream my kitchen were as big as a typical suburban American kitchen - unfortunately it's smaller than a typical UK kitchen based on what I have seen on BBC house renovation shows!
LMWDP #729

DaveC

#65: Post by DaveC replying to Primacog »

Those aren't reality...they are usually highly pretentious shows based around unrealistic dream houses for most brits.

espressotime

#66: Post by espressotime replying to DaveC »

I love Escape to the country.

Primacog

#67: Post by Primacog »

DaveC wrote:Those aren't reality...they are usually highly pretentious shows based around unrealistic dream houses for most brits.
Even the "before" kitchens are usually bigger than my kitchen ...
LMWDP #729

Cuprajake

#68: Post by Cuprajake »

philosli wrote:Recently almost all threads about a new lever machine XYZ will inevitably be turned into a thread of XYZ vs Nurri.
Funny how that happens,

Primacog

#69: Post by Primacog »

philosli wrote:Recently almost all threads about a new lever machine XYZ will inevitably be turned into a thread of XYZ vs Nurri.

If u reread this thread, u should note that the first direct comparison between XYZ machine and nurri wasn't made by a nurri owner and that my initial ref to the nurri size was made in response to cmin's reference to the nurri and i made no size comparison to any other machine...it was only after the size comparison with XYZ was made by someone else that I responded to that...

For me, the nurri and the acs machines are all quality products catering for their particular demographic and though they have similar or will have similar capabilities, they go about them in different ways. Hence its not a zero sum game and its live and let live. The market needs to see a more varied hybrid market in order to grow demand for more advanced levers that are available at much less than the very premium prices of the leva x and the idro so if the vostok, evo and nurri thrive and get people who previously only bought pump machines to get into lever machines because of their appeal, then that can only be good for us as consumers and lovers of lever coffee.
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#70: Post by Primacog »

Cuprajake wrote:Funny how that happens,
It's ironic that you said that... :mrgreen:
LMWDP #729