Just bought a La Pavoni Europiccola. Is this dent a problem?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tk44

#1: Post by Tk44 »

Hiya folks,

I'm new around here, this is my first post after a few months of reading. I've just received my fist espresso machine, a v2.2 La Pavoni Europiccola, I got for a decent price, and don't mind the odd imperfection, however it's got one that is worrying me. The boiler is dented right under the T where the steam wand exits the boiler, it doesn't seem loose or anything is this definitely a problem or is there a way to test it?

Additionally, how do I remove the bottom plate without breaking it, I'm a bit sheepish haha. Also (as I have a complete rebuild kit coming from orphan espresso) in oe's rebuild video they soak the parts in something, what is that something?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tyson

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mgwolf »

If it doesn't leak when it's heated up, you're OK. Vinegar works well to soak stuff in. Citric acid works too but is MUCH stronger than vinegar and will take the chrome plating off (Don't ask how I know). All you need is to dissolve mineral deposits in the lines and boiler. Are you planning on disassembling the boiler? Have you tried turning it on?

Tk44 (original poster)

#3: Post by Tk44 (original poster) »

I have not, perhaps I should put some water in and give it a go, perhaps run some steam. And I'm not sure if I'll take apart the boiler, is it necessary? I'll take apart most other things, sight glass, group head etc.

Tk44 (original poster)

#4: Post by Tk44 (original poster) »

Just steamed a bit of milk, seems fine to me, no leaks. Now I just have to wait for the oe kit to arrive so I can rebuild and pull some shots!

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Recommend anyone who is new to L.P. Europiccola machines to give Francesco's site a good read. See link below and links on left of his site page. http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapav ... te_eng.htm

Dented steam valve port were common in the dark years 2nd gen, when L.P. went with thinner boilers. They corrected the issue.
If it's not leaking leave it unless it really bothers you. I have repaired one with some trial. There is always an issue of cracking occuring around the supporting ring around the steam port which would have to be repaired in order to hold boiler pressure.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549