My opinion of John Buckman interview with "The Lever Machine" magazine

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Shakespeare »

Quoted from Decent Espresso news for easy reference:
decent_espresso wrote:

Buckman article in "The Lever" Magazine

I wasn't aware of The Lever Magazine before Claudio and Simone, the editors, approached me. I took the opportunity to read, cover-to-cover, the 3 previous issues, and I was floored at how similar their view of espresso was to Decent's. They are actually scientific about it, with talk of basket diameters, temperature profiles, preinfusion times and pressures, all being a constant throughout their issues.

Surprisingly, I found nothing that is "incorrect" in my opinion. I don't mean that to sound as arrogant as it likely does. What I mean is that most writing about espresso is half speculation presented as certainty or science, when it's really just a guess. When people write something like "fines migration is causing...." it's a theory, not a certainty, and not well backed up by espresso-specific research.

The Lever presents an impressive amount of deep coffee knowledge across its 4 issues, and when they write something with certainty, you can trust it.

My favorite article in Issue 4 is not mentioned (yet) in the Table of Contents, and it's about an interesting way of making perfect water for coffee. The "gold standard" is to remineralize purified water https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/diy- ... pes-redux/ but this has many cost-and-time downsides. In their article, they suggest prefiltering tap water with something cheap (such as a Brita) to get rid of chlorine and other easy-to-remove things. Then, measure your water, and make a custom remineralizing concentrate the brings your existing water to a happy place. This is certainly cheaper, easier, and more scalable than the purified-water approach, and deserves serious consideration. Thank you for introducing me to this idea!

I wrote an article in this issue https://thelevermag.com/pages/issue-4 where I:
  • discuss some important insights I gleaned from Lever machine discoveries
  • looked at why Pour Overs are so universally popular with the Coffee Intelligentsia, and how to apply those lessons to Espresso
  • How Scott Rao's Blooming Espresso works, and detailed instructions how to make it on a direct lever machine
  • The remaining Big Problems and Questions we in the Decent community are still very much grappling with
It's a "dead tree" magazine, not available online, so let me point you to this URL https://thelevermag.com/pages/issue-4 and please see if you can find it.

The magazine is also published in Italian and Chinese translated versions, though the translated versions are not yet in print.

My article went through 3 extensive rewrites, thanks to Simone and Claudio's feedback and editing, and is much, much better for it.

I hope those of you with Lever machines will give it a read, and let me know what you think.

-john

Shakespeare (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Shakespeare (original poster) »

In keeping with the directives of this online community I will:
''Be respectful. Treat others as you would have them treat you"

There has been a terrific opportunity given to all to share one opinions and efforts in this Barista Forum.
And the owner of Decent Espresso machines has used this opportunity to its fullest in publicizing and promote his company and equipment in hundreds of personal posts in this fantastic forum.
I personally think that he should have the freedom as well as any other manufacturer who would like to share their opinions, equipment and promotions.

But, I disagree with his opinions on his recent article in the Lever Magazine.
And John Buckman has asked me to share my opinions on what I read.
John Buckman wrote:I hope those of you with Lever machines will give it a read, and let me know what you think.
Thanks I will:

The Lever magazine article was written and with exaggerated perspective.
John Buckman wrote:'I wasn't aware of The Lever Magazine before Claudio and Simone, the editors, approached me. I took the opportunity to read, cover-to-cover, the 3 previous issues, and I was floored at how similar their view of espresso was to Decent's
,,,You were never aware of this magazine before the editors contacted you.
I truly believe the truth is not that stark....
And how inappropriate to consider their opinions of espresso in the Lever Magazine are similar to yours.
Maybe their opinions are superior to yours and you are in agreement.
But, I may be too harsh.

Or put in another way:
How gratuitous to share, that the opinions shared in the Lever magazine were 'similar' to Decent's.
Why not let some of the Decent ego not present itself.
And just share that you enjoyed their publication and content.

How benevolent of you to write that Lever Magazine article are:
John Buckman wrote:They are actually scientific about it
As if using a lever machine is not at all science based.

Your admission:
John Buckman wrote:Surprisingly, I found nothing that is "incorrect" in my opinion. I don't mean that to sound as 'arrogant' as it likely does
Thanks for your honesty, I agree with you % 100 percent.

You have the gall to call it a ''DEAD TREE '' due to the paper the Lever Magazine uses.
""It's a "dead tree" magazine, not available online, so let me point you to this:
URL ‪‪https://thelevermag.com/pages/issue-4‬‬ ""

That is the ultimate in hypocrisy..
After you are given the privilege to share some of your opinions in a Lever Magazine...You then insult their means of sharing their information.
And then correct yourself or try to by offering their free link to their publications that was always on the web.

Talk about 'Dead Resources'
Maybe you should reconsider the manufacturing of the complex Decent machine and it's to numerous additional accessories and modifications. And for what?
All those precious resources and wealth to procure a cup of Joe. with some steamed milk.
While a Lever machine in its simplicity and costs can produce an equally excellent cup of coffee.

So should Everyone.....let's save our paper and electronic supplies.. '"AND BUY A simple 'lever machine'"..
its the only alternative... :)
Of course NOT... and we should continue to print and publish and support the excellent LEVER MAGAZINE and their distinctive opinions.

Well..I'm ready ..just try not to cut too deep.

cafebmw

#3: Post by cafebmw »

wow, have you had bad coffee this morning? or no coffee at all?

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by TenLayers »

This adds nothing to the conversation but I have all four on my coffee table!

mdreuben

#5: Post by mdreuben »

Possibly the most passive-aggressive response to an article I've ever read. Most of the comments seem to finding offense where none was intended.

When you have accomplished as much as both the magazine's editors and John Buckman have, we'll all listen with a little more respect.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Shakespeare wrote:Well..I'm ready ..just try not to cut too deep.
Why on the weekend? That's when the working people like myself prefer to relax. :lol: Anyway, seeing that the reaction so far is less than receptive (and I agree that there's sufficient reason), I'm cutting our losses and closing this thread.
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful