Jian Yi Lever espresso machine - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tjyven

#51: Post by Tjyven »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:Did you receive your machine yet?
Is there a stone in it?
Where did you buy it?
Yes, I received my machine a week ago.
The stone is replaced by a "silicone thing" and a couple of other pieces, at least think it is silicone. Guess you could buy that from Jian Yi if you can get in contact with him.
I bought the machine from Taobao which is the original that is made by Jian Yi. The machines sold on alibaba and aliexpress that looks the same are made by Double Eagle.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#52: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Tjyven wrote:Yes, I received my machine a week ago.
The stone is replaced by a "silicone thing" and a couple of other pieces, at least think it is silicone. Guess you could buy that from Jian Yi if you can get in contact with him.
I bought the machine from Taobao which is the original that is made by Jian Yi. The machines sold on alibaba and aliexpress that looks the same are made by Double Eagle.
Awesome thank you! This change pushed me over the edge. Now I have to figure out how to get a Taobao agent to order something which seems out of stock in the link on the first page.
Does anyone know a way to reach the Taobao seller from the first page other then via Taobao?

Tjyven

#53: Post by Tjyven »

I had help from a friend in Hong Kong but I think you need to find a Taobao agent and order through them, it is not easy as a foreigner to order directly from Taobao, and you really need to tell them to put the order to Taobao on the last day of the months, that is when they open for new orders and I think it gets full rather fast

coffeeOnTheBrain

#54: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Thank you the tip with ordering on the last day of the month is rather important :)

Do you know the diameter of the piston by any chance and how it looks behind the shower screen, can you see the piston if you remove the shower screen, you didn't do a foto of that right?

Tjyven

#55: Post by Tjyven »

It is about 45mm.
Have one photo where you can see the piston to the left.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#56: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain replying to Tjyven »

Awesome, you are the best!

I am still curios why the stone and now the silicone disk. Maybe there is a chance of just removing it and have the piston go all the way down. With 45mm piston diameter and 57mm inner diameter of the E61 shower there is a chance that it fits.

Tjyven

#57: Post by Tjyven »

As the machine is built it cant go that low, the lever arm stops at the boiler. It would require modifications.

jamesz

#58: Post by jamesz »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:
I am still curios why the stone and now the silicone disk. Maybe there is a chance of just removing it and have the piston go all the way down. With 45mm piston diameter and 57mm inner diameter of the E61 shower there is a chance that it fits.
The silicon disk was used in its early version. I bought one 4-5 years ago when I was working in China. They changed to stone disk later and now back to silicon disk. Don't know why.

You could remove the disk, which I did. Then you may need to add extra ~20ml water to compensate the volume of the disk. Also it would't be easy to get a dry puck after pull.

It is not desirable to pull the piston too low as it may damage the V-shave seal on the piston. But I believe you could make an extended lower part of the piston if you have access to a lathe. So the v-shape seal stays inside in the chamber while the extended part goes all the way to the shower screen, push out most water in the shower screen "cup".

jamesz

#59: Post by jamesz »

The early version did not have PID control. So I added a heating ring and PID controller to warm the water chamber, a bit rough but works very well. It takes 10-15 min to get cold water to ~92C in the chamber.

Maolo (original poster)

#60: Post by Maolo (original poster) »

I am amazed! A stone in the chamber???? I would not have believed it if I didn't see the picture. I haven't had any problems with temperature management or shot volume. My espresso shots are delicious and getting better. My longest shots are 60g though and default shots are 30-45g, so I don't know what max shot is. I fill up the chamber with extra water after lifting the handle half way and that has given me more than enough to work with for any shot to date.

Tell me how to disassemble the shower screen and I will search for the rock