Jian Yi Lever espresso machine - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Maolo (original poster)

#31: Post by Maolo (original poster) »

It will be a challenge to get outside of China and I doubt if they will have it in 110, but it is worth checking. A Taobao agent or a Chinese speaking friend will be very helpful in the process.

boklos

#32: Post by boklos replying to Maolo »

I dont mind 220v, I unfortunately don't have Chinese friend, so I'm asking which option is the right option to choose forntheb2nd gen full set with PID. Then I ll try to find a taobao agent unless you know someone you can trust who I can pay and ship it to the US

Maolo (original poster)

#33: Post by Maolo (original poster) »

I have only used the included 18g basket so far. I will not buy a low dose basket as I prefer higher doses - or to down dose in a 18g basket. I've noticed that these are available on Aliexpress (search lever espresso machine). But price is over US$500. I would still take this machine over Flair 58 for reasons specified, but if design and looks are important, and temperature control is not, you may just spend the extra bucks and get the Flair from the beginning.

Tjyven

#34: Post by Tjyven »

Can you post a link to aliexpress for this machine? I get zero hits when doing that search.

Hugonl28

#35: Post by Hugonl28 »

Anyone know a link at AliExpress for this machine with PID?

Tjyven

#36: Post by Tjyven »

Have a link here for alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 6befbCCNl4, but I am not sure if this is the Jian Yi lever or just a copy, they say here that it is the company jzdoubleeagle who builds it and not Jian Yi.

sloegin

#37: Post by sloegin »

I think this is it at aliexpress: Link.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#38: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Does anyone know the differences between V1 and V2?

So far I see these differences:
V1:
  • External electronics box
  • Wooden base only
V2:
  • Electronics box mounted to "chassis"
  • optional metal base with drip tray

In pictures I see a wire that ends in the cylinder. Does anyone know what it is? Maybe the wire is a temperature sensor (edited after I saw other pictures of the V1)?

Tjyven

#39: Post by Tjyven »

Pretty sure it is the temperature sensor.

nisb

#40: Post by nisb »

I just received my jian yi and 5 shots in I'm enjoying it a lot. It's clearly not a refined product, there are several cosmetic issues (e.g. dings and scratches right out of the box) and safety issues (temperature sensor hanging on a wire and may pop out of open boiler when lifting the lever to pull a shot, causing the heating element to stay on until turned off by user (no timer)).

One thing that strikes me as downright odd: The shower screen is a IMS E61 screen that is held in place by the group head gasket squeezing against the side walls of the group head. The piston from the lever ends above the top edge of gasket/shower screen, and as such the 'cup' formed by the shower screen would be full of water at the end of the shot - had the maker not placed a stone (!) inside the shower screen (see image).

Now in this position the stone is not heated by the boiler, and this makes thermal management very difficult - something that should be very easy with a PID controlled open boiler lever. If I take it out then I'm struggling to get sufficient shot volume and the water accumulating in the shower screen cavity makes the machine messy.

Anyone figured out an idea to conveniently heat up the stone or replace it with an insulating material? Something like styrofoam would be functionally better but I'd be worried about what it would leak into the coffee. I've also considered activated charcoal, which I have laying around (food safe and hydrophobic)