James Hoffmann Review: The Olympia Cremina - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mathof

#41: Post by mathof »

I went from a pre-Millennium La Pavoni Europiccola to a Londinium 1. I thought about buying a Cremina rather than the L1, but I knew after 15 years trying unsuccessfully to work out repeatable routines with a manual lever that I wanted a spring one. Now with Gabor's pressure meter, that objection no longer holds. Maybe I should upgrade my LP (which I've kept for use as a backup machine) with the Naked pressure kit just for fun.

Ron

#42: Post by Ron »

Watching Hoffmann's review, I kept thinking that virtually all his tips and techniques are exactly what I have to do on my pre-millennium Pavoni from 1989 (which cost $300 in cash at Forzano's in Little Italy, NYC). Those tips are to run steam to make sure it's all steam and not water, then to run some water through the portafilter to get air out of the system.

Back in '89, when I used the alt.coffee group for advice, the thinking was this: go to Zabar's and get an Olympia Swiss Mocca grinder, which cost $200 at the time, and later shot up to nearly 1K with the Swiss currency. Then you add a cheap Zabar's Carina copy of the Pavoni or, in my case, hit Forzano's for your Pavoni, as mentioned, and you're all set. I still have both those machines, but my newer ones tend to crowd them out.

Those were the good old days.
★ Helpful

elbertfunkleberg

#43: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

Hoffman does not make a living drinking coffee. 'nuff said. BUT...

Use your common sense, people. The Cremina isn't made of solid gold, or even gold plated. It's simple and small enough to be able to be manufactured for maybe $1000 if you don't source your components well. A $2000+ markup is obscene. I can see why people like to buy old ones and refurb them... because the price of the new ones makes NO SENSE.

Sorry James, but if it were up to me you'd be eating hamburger for a while longer.

Am I banned?

Stanford55

#44: Post by Stanford55 »

elbertfunkleberg wrote: Am I banned?
I don't know, do you want to be? I've seen threads put on cool down for less, but admin on this forum can be fairly capricious in this regard. I've noticed a few of your posts and I can't tell if they're meant to be funny, or inflammatory; in either case, they're on the outside of constructive.

mikel

#45: Post by mikel »

For about 10%, in every forum, it's about them, not about contributing. The other 90% are cool.

Cremina's are cool too, regardless of the price.

cafebmw

#46: Post by cafebmw »

one can draw plenty of analogies. 2 of which come to my mind immediately are bicycles, as previously mentioned, and hi-fi gear (tube!).
there are as many opinions and mindsets regarding costs, benefits, obsession, rationality, etc. as the Cremina is able to shape.
e.g. i have a SET tube amp which produces max 2 watts/channel.
the cost? let's not talk about it.
the controversy? endless!
the pleasure? priceless!

that's a great James Hoffman feature, btw.!

jpender

#47: Post by jpender »

It's got espresso in it.

elbertfunkleberg

#48: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

Stanford55 wrote:I don't know, do you want to be? I've seen threads put on cool down for less, but admin on this forum can be fairly capricious in this regard. I've noticed a few of your posts and I can't tell if they're meant to be funny, or inflammatory; in either case, they're on the outside of constructive.
I'm simply stating my honest opinion after having watched the video, read many of the comments here, and after having looked at the Cremina for a long time.

My "Am I banned?" remark was indeed a comment on the capricious (well chosen word btw) nature of the admin here, especially regarding the sometimes dubious relationship between this site and its sponsors. This is not a place where opinions are always allowed to flow freely and not a place that you can take product reviews at face value. And James Hoffman is not is not an average Joe who happens to love coffee - he does coffee for a living. I find him a good and interesting presenter, but I suspend my belief when he is blatantly promoting a product that needs an explanation as to why it is so obviously overpriced.

civ

#49: Post by civ »

Hello:
elbertfunkleberg wrote: This is not a place where opinions are always allowed to flow freely ...
Yet here you are freely expressing yours.
An opinion which I consider not only unwarranted (given the topic* under discussion) but also rash and unbased.

On 30/05 I will have been a member of HB for thirteen years, years where my first stop every morning when I booted up my workstation has been, holding a double espresso latte in my hand, this forum.

Not once in all these years have I observed what you are expressing with your opinion.

I take great exception to what you are saying and I am absolutely convinced that everyone reading this thread opines the same way.

CIV

* Cannot believe this thread is still running ... 8^ |
★ Helpful

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#50: Post by JohnB. »

civ wrote:Not once in all these years have I observed what you are expressing with your opinion.

I take great exception to what you are saying and I am absolutely convinced that everyone reading this thread opines the same way.

CIV
I've been on here since 2008 or so & I have certainly read posts suggesting that the Cremina is over priced new in the past. I personally share that opinion even though I own a Cremina 67 & happen to like it. I could go into much more detail as to why I feel that way but since folks seem to be getting upset just because someone doesn't feel the same way about the Cremina as they do I won't.
LMWDP 267