James Hoffmann Review: The Olympia Cremina - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CoffeeCoffeeCoffee

#31: Post by CoffeeCoffeeCoffee »

civ wrote: Hype? CIV
Some people probably buy it for the hype, but those people end up selling their machine because they are not into making espresso

The build quality is far superior to other machines around. The build quality of the newer model is even far superior to the ones from the 70's, which are still running on. These machines last for decades with adequate maintenance and used machines retain a high market price. If you factor in the longevity of the machine, it is not so expensive. An Olympia machine is not a consumer good, it is an investment.
The only criteria that really matters is how much you enjoy your coffee

civ

#32: Post by civ »

Hello:
CoffeeCoffeeCoffee wrote: ... last for decades with adequate maintenance ...
My plumbed in Cimbali Junior D/1 just turned 23 20 and I'm certain it will outlive me and then whoever gets it after I'm gone.
And it did not come with a $3.000 price tag.

All I've done in all this time was put in a custom silicone PF gasket, hacked the on/off switch for maintenance purposes and (regrettably) added a PID which now serves as a fancy, expensive albeit absolutely silent thermostat with the tightest deadband.

Cheers,

CIV

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#33: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

With the cost basis of my Faema President, a commercial 2 group lever, including parts (of which half of that order is going to other machines), powdercoating, and tools purchased to get the job done I did not break $3000 in total cost for a machine that I guarantee can outlast me. Maybe if I needed rechroming would this occur.

If you are looking for something that lasts forever there are cheaper options including buying used Creminas. You get the Cremina new not for value but I would relate it to something like a Rolex. It is high class and works very well, and will most certaintly last for decades.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Bob_McBob

#34: Post by Bob_McBob »

shawndo wrote:It used to be quite popular to buy broken down old creminas and rebuild them, not unlike old muscle cars. It seemed there were 2 build threads a week a few years ago.
I think many cremina owners here obtained it this way instead of paying full price (up front...)
I guess (like 68 chargers) we aren't finding many old creminas in garages anymore, ready for a rebuild.
And this is where the Cremina's reputation comes from. Before the Strega hit the market and set off the lever revolution, a vintage Cremina was one of the best lever machines available to home baristas, and extremely reasonably priced compared to $3500 new (they've always been that expensive). Back in 2006 there were only 40 new Creminas being imported into the United States every year, and a few years later the distributor went out of business. Now we're in a time where $3500 for an espresso machine seems more reasonable.
Chris

Tetra

#35: Post by Tetra »

Very nice! I really enjoyed watching the review video. Great descriptions from James Hoffman; I loved the enthusiasm. I am also in the camp of those who think the Cremina is a beautiful and wonderful espresso machine (even though I have never seen one in real life). I also agree that it seems very expensive and out of my reach, but it is fun to think about eventually being able to own one. There have been a number of insightful comments and comparisons. For example, I really liked the analogy/comparison someone made about the purchase of an expensive bicycle.

But there is a certain type of comment that I find puzzling. There are some snide and almost angry-sounding comments regarding either the machine or the price. I find it curious that some people are so put off by the existence of good (and, yes, expensive) craftsmanship that they make such comments. Are they just trolling, or are they actually upset by the thought that someone might buy an espresso machine like this? Maybe trying to protect gullible people such as myself? I have to admit that I am not above poking at people, so maybe that is it; maybe they are just trying to get a reaction. I stirred the pot and poked fun in response to some troll comments in a thread on the CT2, which I am very much in love with. I suppose I am no different.

But I am now guilty of stepping off the path of discussing the thread topic. One other point that comes to mind is to note that I have never once in my life (which is, sadly, on the upper end of long) regretted purchasing a relatively high cost item of reasonable high quality. I suspect the Cremina would fall in this category for me. A keeper for life.

spressomon

#36: Post by spressomon »

^ I don't get the hate either (apart of this thread). IMHO its disruptive at best. I wonder if those that can't afford a Porsche/MB/Ferrari/Lambo/insert favorite here, for example, also throw mud? For the record: I can't afford any of the aforementioned motors :D
No Espresso = Depresso

bobpaule

#37: Post by bobpaule »

Tetra wrote:There are some snide and almost angry-sounding comments regarding either the machine or the price. I find it curious that some people are so put off by the existence of good (and, yes, expensive) craftsmanship that they make such comments. Are they just trolling, or are they actually upset by the thought that someone might buy an espresso machine like this? Maybe trying to protect gullible people such as myself? I have to admit that I am not above poking at people, so maybe that is it; maybe they are just trying to get a reaction...
This is like me driving my Model S for five years in our small Appalachian town, I have been coal-rolled, yelled at, shown middle fingers. I am afraid I will be the first to go if the COVID-19 riots erupt:)
Leave the xxxxers alone, trolling is for Reddit and social media.
Never get between a man and his ristretto, ever!

espressotime

#38: Post by espressotime replying to bobpaule »

I had a model S. Nice car. They sell pretty cheap over here.
https://www.autotrader.nl/auto/voertuig ... odel=s-600
Now I drive a 2002 Toyota Verso.Better car.

belegnole

#39: Post by belegnole »

I think that the Cremina is a wonderful little machine for what it is. That being said I also think that it is a bit over priced. For myself when I hit that price point I didn't even think of the Cremina when I went looking for a lever. Now if I were to collect all of the styles of machines or just wanted a manual lever, it would be at the top of the list.
LMWDP #641

foam2

#40: Post by foam2 »

As I get older I appreciate craftsmanship more and more. While I love the latest gadget or phone what have you, there is something to be said about a well thought out product built to high standards with classic design. I don't have a lever machine but I can understand the appeal. I went from an entry level Saeco, to a BDB, to now a synchronika with flow control. My thoughts on the synchronika was it would be a long term machine - durable, classic, well made with very little plastic materials especially in key components. I like the pid control and that's the most electronics I think I need. When I had the BDB and the synchronika side by side I couldn't taste a difference (maybe my tastes aren't that sophisticated) and both operated similarly enough for me to realize the difference in price was not buying me a better cup of coffee but I personally enjoyed the coffee experience more with the synchronika. I have to assume that is the same with this machine as well. Not being familiar with levers (although I'm sure that will change) I wish I could have the same type of pid control at the group but I'm sure it is a matter of practice and experience to pull a great shot which is what levers have a reputation for.