Izzo Alex Leva - External Pump

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tbrandt1996
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Tbrandt1996 »

Has anyone ever installed the optional external pump on an Izzo Alex Leva? The Izzo manual gives zero detail of pump size or pump motor power. I'm using a BWT system on domestic water feed right now, but will be moving soon and I'm anticipating not being able to plumb things in.

I'm tempted just to try a high volume flow fluid-o-tech on a 110V, 1/4 HP motor. I'm also assuming that these pumps like to be fed with accumulator tanks rather than just dipping the inlet into a tank of water? My plan is to do an espresso cart and put filtered or re-mineralized water in a storage tank.

truemagellen

#2: Post by truemagellen »

So yes you can use the external pump and wire it in, most rotary pumps will do. It is meant for a high volume bar or mobile cart operation to use that setup with a potable water tank. You would want to drop the pressure of the pump so it is probably only doing 2-3 bar (not 9-12bar which they are usually set on).

Alternatively and probably easier, and lightweight...since the Izzo AL is a dipper you simply need to top up the boiler which only requires a bit more pressure than the boiler pressure. So a simple Flojet pump system will work with the Leva. I used that setup before the plumber arrived and it worked great, only there is an additional sound of the flojet.

You could even use your BWT system with the flojet fed off of a tank you fill with city water.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
Nick111
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nick111 »

Thank you.It is good to know.

Tbrandt1996 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Tbrandt1996 (original poster) »

truemagellen wrote:So a simple Flojet pump system will work with the Leva. I used that setup before the plumber arrived and it worked great, only there is an additional sound of the flojet.

You could even use your BWT system with the flojet fed off of a tank you fill with city water.

That simplifies things quite a bit, wouldn't need the rotary pump powered from the machine if the output pressure of the flojet is high enough. Did you just use the 5 gal water bottle fed flojet system?

truemagellen

#5: Post by truemagellen »

Yes a 5 gallon blue bottle. I've also used a 3 gallon bottle I used to get at Lowes, Prima Water.

It worked so well I pondered whether it was worth it to pay for all the plumbing, filteration, and risk (I'm in multi level housing).

Now that you see how little water it uses the bottle water on a commercial single lever dipper like this is no big deal. Just rinse the PF in the sink. Use an espazzola cleaner to limit water use when cleaning group screen and gasket.