Izzo Alex Leva – Dosing, baskets, accessories and springs - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
belegnole

#31: Post by belegnole »

Thanks, I've seen the thread and so far nothing has worked. The person who assembled it used some serious brute force. I'm starting to think that I am going to have to buy a new one. Then use a pipe wrench to get it off.
LMWDP #641

rmmoser

#32: Post by rmmoser »

Has anyone every converted an e61 Duetto to a lever? I have the Duetto IV, but I'd love to have a bit of time with the lever if it's a possible conversion.

belegnole

#33: Post by belegnole »

Well, the problem has now been solved. This afternoon I decided to try my two foot pipe wrench and some rubbery material for protection of the piston. Once I got to the point where I got a bit brutal with it I was able to break it free. The wrench left a few marks which I smoothed out. Then I cleaned everything, re-lubed, and reassembled the group. I just finished my first shot after the cleaning and everything worked as expected.

I have to say that with the exception of the difficulty in getting the brass piston off the first time. This group is very simple and easy to work with for general cleaning and group maintenance.

Thanks to all that have been of help.
LMWDP #641

silkypull

#34: Post by silkypull »

i wonder if there's a torque spec to follow when reinstalling it back? that would be helpful for owners to look out for during the next service.

espressotime

#35: Post by espressotime » replying to silkypull »

There isn't.
The trick with this group is that by turning in the piston you put pressure on the teflon ring that is seated between two tapered brass elements.
So by this way you can adjust the smoothness and play in group movement.
And this is adjusted every time you remove and re- install the piston.
Coffee. Don't let the tea drinkers fool you. Yes ,it's supposed to taste bitter.

Red_Donkey

#36: Post by Red_Donkey »

Finally I got my act together and changed the rubber seal in the piston. But the teflon ring was snug between two brass-elements. I didn't dare to pry them apart, because it seemed to be fine. I've since re-assembled everything, and no more leaking in the piston, and better coffee.

Would you think this teflon ring is important to change also? Should I just use a knife or something sharp to try and pry this thing apart next time? Or is there much less wear and tear on teflon rings like this?

espressotime

#37: Post by espressotime » replying to Red_Donkey »

You can take it apart using your fingers.
Holding it upside down should dothe trick.
Coffee. Don't let the tea drinkers fool you. Yes ,it's supposed to taste bitter.

Red_Donkey

#38: Post by Red_Donkey »

It was pretty stuck. But didn't use a knife or anything. So I just let it be. It was not causing problems yet apparently.

def
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by def »

drH wrote:That's interesting that dosing to the circlip is the best technique. What happens if you use a bean that likes a lower dose (like a lighter roast)?
Should you use less, grind finer and tamp harder? Or try to maintain the volume and adjust other variables to taste?
This is what makes levers so much fun.
Use lower dose, grind finer, smaller basket, tamp same as any other roast. Dose up to the circlip with a 14g basket which is the smallest double basket for LSM. Light roast with this basket is no problem on LSM group.

phillip canuck

#40: Post by phillip canuck »

This is what I use for removing the clip.