Izzo Alex Leva – Dosing, baskets, accessories and springs - Page 18

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
silkypull

#171: Post by silkypull »

Yea it feels like it's stuck on there real good. Almost felt like if I take it out. I may not be able to put it back in haha.

Ordered the plier that Alf recommended... so will have to wait till end of this month before trying to remove it. I got the axle nut but I recall in earlier post that you'd have file down the edges to fit. So that what I'm hoping to do once I can take off the screen.

Can someone measure how wide the notch on their tool is or needs to be so i can start filing it down first? Thanks

Thanks
LMWDP #663

espressotime

#172: Post by espressotime »

New thingies arrived yesterday. :D

Things aren't always as they seem I guess.

Problem fixed.
Grind,rake ,tamp and enjoy a great espresso.( by F. G.)

silkypull

#173: Post by silkypull »

alf.. so the reason for the play was due to the bearings?
LMWDP #663

espressotime

#174: Post by espressotime » replying to silkypull »

No. That was caused by a worn out pistonrod tube.Which probably was caused by a missing felt liner.
But the new upper housing had different measurements so the old bolts were too long and touched the bearings.
Now at last everything is working perfectly again.
I changed the bearings too because they were shot too. But that wasn't causing any problems yet.
Grind,rake ,tamp and enjoy a great espresso.( by F. G.)

silkypull

#175: Post by silkypull » replying to espressotime »

nice~! glad to hear you got things all sorted out. :)
LMWDP #663

puffinjk

#176: Post by puffinjk »

Sorry silkypull and espresso monkey that I missed your reply about the piston shaft, Mine had no pin or hole in the shaft for a pin, In the izzo factory vid they use thread locker and that is what I had on mine,Also take note my machine is ten years old, If you have a pin in yours that would be good. You can be carful the first time by marking the shaft thru the spring window and checking the mark after you break the piston loose. The circlip thing is a PIA, I found that it is somewhat better if you pinch the clip in a vice so you can relive some of the tension, But the SS clip is very brittle and you can break it so go easy. Jim

silkypull

#177: Post by silkypull »

Thanks to Alf For suggesting the circlip pliers... this works out great!

Thanks to Rick (rmofsen) for the find on Amazon, I was able remove the circlip and fit axle locknut. I filed down all four notches and measured it for anyone that needs it for future reference.

LMWDP #663