Izzo Alex Leva – Dosing, baskets, accessories and springs - Page 16

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
def
Supporter ♡

#151: Post by def »

I have had my Leva for a year, and I have not taken it apart for thorough cleaning. I take the screen out every now and then, and I wipe off the top of the piston and the sleeve as much as I can, but since the machine works well and the espresso tastes great, why bother taking the piston out?

User avatar
espressotime

#152: Post by espressotime »

belegnole wrote:Alf,
While this can be true after the first cleaning, it is not true for many people with new machines. And to be honest, taking the group apart only means removing an additional 4 nuts and bolts.

Rui,
You shouldn't have to worry about the springs. As you'll see whenever you take yours apart. Or if you can see it on the pictures here or on the web. The springs are held by a nut and washer that is not removed when you clean and lube.

As Alf/espressotime said, the nice thing about the LSM group is that you can do a quick and easy cleaning and lubrication.

While the machine is cold. You can look at the bottom of the group and see that the screen is held in place by a circlip/snap ring. You'll need a pair of snap ring pliers to get it off. Then you can just remove the screen (it's just a perforated disk). Directly above that is the brass piston that is screwed onto the piston rod. It is remove using the socket with the 4 teeth. Either the pvc one that people have made or the metal one. Once that is of you can get the gaskets out clean them lube them and reassemble.

Unfortunately, I and others have not been able to the "easy" method the first time we cleaned the group as the brass piston would not come off without quite a bit of effort. Please try it yourself. Hopefully you won't just end up spinning your machine around on the counter like I did.
I have disassembled that group to the last bolt about 5 times the last 3 months. Going to install three new bearings tomorrow.
But to just clean I don't see any need to take out the upper part.
Coffee. Don't let the tea drinkers fool you. Yes, it's supposed to taste bitter.

belegnole

#153: Post by belegnole »

def wrote:I have had my Leva for a year, and I have not taken it apart for thorough cleaning. I take the screen out every now and then, and I wipe off the top of the piston and the sleeve as much as I can, but since the machine works well and the espresso tastes great, why bother taking the piston out?
Mine was surprisingly clean after six months of use. Minus the colored lines this is right after I pulled it out of the machine.


espressotime wrote:I have disassembled that group to the last bolt about 5 times the last 3 months. Going to install three new bearings tomorrow.
But to just clean I don't see any need to take out the upper part.
For a quick cleaning I agree. If you want to do a more thorough cleaning, check the springs or anything else, you may as well take the whole assembly out. It's not like it's hard to do.

The only reason I took mine apart the first time was because the brass piston would not come off. Unfortunately a number of people including myself have had this problem.
LMWDP #641

def
Supporter ♡

#154: Post by def »

@belegnole

Thanks. Good to know, and I probably will not take mine apart any time soon because I don't really mind a little coffee residue on the piston.

My understanding is that removing the piston/spring assembly from the group is easy and requires no special tools, but putting the piston/spring assembly back into the cylinder sleeve is not possible because the white (ptfe?) seal is compressed and the diameter is too big to slide back into the sleeve; The piston must be loosened to take tension away from the seal, and then tightened after the piston assembly is inserted back into the sleeve/group head. Is this correct?

User avatar
espressotime

#155: Post by espressotime » replying to def »

I always take everyrhing out from below. Including teflon ring and compressor ring.
Coffee. Don't let the tea drinkers fool you. Yes, it's supposed to taste bitter.

def
Supporter ♡

#156: Post by def » replying to espressotime »

That makes sense, and I purchased a steel piston removal tool on Amazon if/when I decide to take out the piston. However, I think I read that many owners have trouble loosening the piston the first time, presumably because the manufacture uses a strong thread lock compound on the piston/rod threads. So they end up taking the piston/spring/lever assembly out and use a bench vise to get the extra torque needed to loosen the piston from the connecting rod. Is that correct?

belegnole

#157: Post by belegnole »

def wrote:@belegnole

Thanks. Good to know, and I probably will not take mine apart any time soon because I don't really mind a little coffee residue on the piston.

My understanding is that removing the piston/spring assembly from the group is easy and requires no special tools, but putting the piston/spring assembly back into the cylinder sleeve is not possible because the white (ptfe?) seal is compressed and the diameter is too big to slide back into the sleeve; The piston must be loosened to take tension away from the seal, and then tightened after the piston assembly is inserted back into the sleeve/group head. Is this correct?
Correct, the white piece expands centering the assembly in the bore when the brass piston is tightened. I would think that you could loosely assemble everything, slide it in from the top and then tighten it from the bottom. But why do that when you can do everything from the bottom.
LMWDP #641

puffinjk

#158: Post by puffinjk »

All very good info here, One word of caution about removing the piston, I have broken loose the top threads of the piston rod and had it unthread and come out spring loaded so pay attention and make sure the piston is turning and not the rod. The upper threads are supposed to have thread locker on them, Well they do now anyway. Be safe :D Jim

Parkeralto

#159: Post by Parkeralto »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVa-u5Qgl-w

I ran across this video of servicing an Izzo two group LSM lever machine in Korea. No translation, but none necessary. Interesting that the shower screen retainer is a ss spring clip instead of the factory circlip.

drH
Supporter ♡

#160: Post by drH » replying to Parkeralto »


If for some reason you don't have the stainless circlip, I believe you can order it from Chris Coffee. For a long time, Chris didn't advertise the Leva on their website, but now it's up and as far as I understand, they have technicians there who can service it. This would give me a lot more confidence buying one in the US.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/iz ... steel-clip

If I ever build a new setup (maybe in a few years) the Izzo will be a strong contender as the centerpiece. If not Izzo, it would have to be something like a GS3.