Izzo Alex Leva – Dosing, baskets, accessories and springs - Page 15

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Espresso_Monkey

#141: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

espressotime wrote:I don't know. In my group it was missing and has been missing at least for the 8 years I have used the machine.
Espressotime, did you resolve your woes??

silkypull

#142: Post by silkypull »

Espresso_Monkey wrote:Congrats!
The wait will be torture :lol:
it was already a lot of torture... the letter on my F9 key on my keyboard has worn off. through the whole process, i've made 4 calls to them.. luckily with google voice it was only $0.01/min. and it was a pleasure chatting with them too.

the package was already at the local station on the 13th.. but probably someone there didn't want to process the paperwork or something so it never went out for delivery. wouldn't blame them.. they probably saw 45Kg weight and with the hot heat, they probably think i'll let the next guy take care of it. :cry:
LMWDP #663

silkypull

#143: Post by silkypull »

Ok... my baby is finally here this week and installed.

Pardon the mess, but just too excited to try it out.

My first shot was ok tasting, when my machine arrived the preinfusion screw was really loose so I think I may have over tighten. So had to play around with it till it starts flowing. My NZ won't arrive till Sept so for now using my BBE as grinder.

I'm use to using only 17.5g dose on my BBE and I drink mainly medium roast. So when I dosed 17.5 into the basket it felt not enough. So I tried to fill it up to the line. May have put too much dose as I see in this thread 19g is good.

As for temp, I set it to 245F which might be too low. So I'll have to play around.

Anyways... tried out the steam and OH My... literally cropped my pants... took me less than 10sec to texture the milk and it came out soooo smooth. Compared to my BBE waiting for like what feels like a while min and yet texture isn't as good.

So here it is... pardon my in home slippers.. us skinny Asians always have slippers to wear at home... haha
LMWDP #663

belegnole

#144: Post by belegnole »

Congratulations and welcome to the club...
LMWDP #641

silkypull

#145: Post by silkypull » replying to belegnole »

thank you... i love how it's sooooo quiet.. silent and sexy. :)
LMWDP #663

Espresso_Monkey

#146: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

silkypull wrote:Ok... my baby is finally here this week and installed.
Awesome. Know the feeling :wink:
silkypull wrote: I'm use to using only 17.5g dose on my BBE and I drink mainly medium roast. So when I dosed 17.5 into the basket it felt not enough. So I tried to fill it up to the line. May have put too much dose as I see in this thread 19g is good.

As for temp, I set it to 245F which might be too low. So I'll have to play around.
As a new owner myself, I can testify. Small learning curve, but you'll get there quickly.
silkypull wrote: Anyways... tried out the steam and OH My... literally cropped my pants... took me less than 10sec to texture the milk and it came out soooo smooth. Compared to my BBE waiting for like what feels like a while min and yet texture isn't as good.
Right!
My previous machine was a very decent double boiler E61 set to similar steam pressure as my Leva. I was not expecting such a marked difference in steaming power.

silkypull

#147: Post by silkypull »

today i tried using 19g and it turned out very tasty. already had a latte today.. time for another one so i can keep practicing my latte art.
what temp do you set yours at? and do you use the 1:2 extraction ratio/time?

i tried the same 19g dose on my BBE vs the Leva... wifey and i much prefer the espresso from the Leva. :D

btw, i know that there was some discussion about pre-infusion screw adjustments. when my machine arrive the screw wasn't locked down and so i had to readjust.

after pulling on it several time, this is as close as i could get it with the nut tighten down and have the most minimal flow. does this look ok?
LMWDP #663

silkypull

#148: Post by silkypull »

belegnole wrote:Happy to be of help, but remember I'm just another amateur. Also I only have a few pictures from when I did it.

Ok, so the first picture is of the group fully assembled as it normally is.

1. The flange at the bottom of the upper part marked in green is threaded. So first remove the nuts circled in red at the top of the assembled group. I used an adjustable wrench and a bit of paper towel to reduce scratching.

2. Then I removed the bolts in blue with a 5mm hex key/wrench. It felt a touch loose but a 6mm was too big. These were not all that tight to begin with.

3. I took off the clip and screen at the bottom of the group.

Remember once you do the next step you may not be able to put the machine back together until you complete the process in order. Some of the parts expand and you cannot just put it back together in reverse of how you took it apart. So have an alternative coffee source just in case.

4. once those are out all you should have to do is pull upwards. Make sure you have a place to put the assembly when you do.

So now here's our piston assembly and upper portion of our group. The part we are loosening is outlined in yellow.

I wrapped the square chromed part (circled in green) in a towel and placed it in a wooden vice. Any non marring vice that would hold it should do.

I then cleaned off the piston portion as best I could. Even after using a degreaser the brass was slick so I tried wrapping it in a number of things. In the end I used a rubbery drawer liner that I cut to fit and wrapped it thick enough that the pipe wrench wouldn't mar the piston. In the end the teeth went through the material and did mar the piston a bit. I was able to clean it up without issue however.

So, once you get it loose be careful to look at how the parts come off. There should be 5 parts and 4 have to go on a certain way. First you have the piston. Then there is the rubber(?) gasket which fits into the back of the piston. After that is a brass washer of sorts that in the picture looks like a thin black line between the gasket and white pvc spacer. Next is the pvc spacer that expands when all is assembled and centers the piston. After that is another brass piece that is up against the washer/nut that holds the springs in place. You'll notice that the two washers and the pvc spacer are all tapered to cause the spacer to expand when assembled. This is why you have to take it apart to put it back together again.

Ok, so once you've cleaned everything to your satisfaction it's time to regrease.

Once you are ready to reassemble, put the top half of the group without the piston parts back on.

Then from the bottom of the group feed the piston assembly parts up into the piston bore. I had to do them one at a time with the white pvc part being the most finicky. With the assistance of your handy dandy homemade pvc tool get the piston threaded and tighten til you satisfied. From what I've gathered as long as you can put the screen back in you should be good. I put a hole in my pvc tool and used a longer hex key to aid in tightening. I only tightened until it wanted to stop. I then checked to see if the screen fit, and it did. I then of course had to do a test pull or two to make sure things sounded and felt right. Then I powered up, waited awhile and did test shot.

The next time I want to clean the piston I should be able to just take off the clip and screen. Then remove the piston from the bottom. Do a quick clean and reassemble. Leaving the full disassembly for deeper cleaning or changing springs etc.

Hopefully this is of some help as I wrote it off the cuff. I you or anyone else has questions, feel free to ask here or you can PM me if you'd like.
hi david.. thank you so much for this post. so when you remove the piston from the assembly, i wouldn't have to worry about the spring decompressing right? also, what did you mean by next time you can just remove the clip and screen and remove the piston from bottom and do quick clean and reassemble without removing the assembly?

while my leva is only a month old.. but i figure best to start learning about how to maintain this beauty in advance. much appreciated...
LMWDP #663

espressotime

#149: Post by espressotime » replying to silkypull »

There is no need whatsoever to take the group out to clean the piston/seal assembly or change the seal.
This take me 2-3 minutes to do.
Just take of the screen( 5 seconds), screw our piston and take out seal( 30 seconds max).
Clean( 30 seconnds) and apply some Dow111 at the seal( 30 seconds).
Take paper and clean bore( 15 seconds).
Install seal and piston( 45 seconds)
Install screen( 5 seconds).
Done.

Leave the group in the machine.
Coffee. Don't let the tea drinkers fool you. Yes, it's supposed to taste bitter.
★ Helpful

belegnole

#150: Post by belegnole »

espressotime wrote:There is no need whatsoever to take the group out to clean the piston/seal assembly or change the seal.
This take me 2-3 minutes to do.
Just take of the screen( 5 seconds), screw our piston and take out seal( 30 seconds max).
Clean( 30 seconnds) and apply some Dow111 at the seal( 30 seconds).
Take paper and clean bore( 15 seconds).
Install seal and piston( 45 seconds)
Install screen( 5 seconds).
Done..

Leave the group in the machine.
Alf,
While this can be true after the first cleaning, it is not true for many people with new machines. And to be honest, taking the group apart only means removing an additional 4 nuts and bolts.

Rui,
You shouldn't have to worry about the springs. As you'll see whenever you take yours apart. Or if you can see it on the pictures here or on the web. The springs are held by a nut and washer that is not removed when you clean and lube.

As Alf/espressotime said, the nice thing about the LSM group is that you can do a quick and easy cleaning and lubrication.

While the machine is cold. You can look at the bottom of the group and see that the screen is held in place by a circlip/snap ring. You'll need a pair of snap ring pliers to get it off. Then you can just remove the screen (it's just a perforated disk). Directly above that is the brass piston that is screwed onto the piston rod. It is remove using the socket with the 4 teeth. Either the pvc one that people have made or the metal one. Once that is of you can get the gaskets out clean them lube them and reassemble.

Unfortunately, I and others have not been able to the "easy" method the first time we cleaned the group as the brass piston would not come off without quite a bit of effort. Please try it yourself. Hopefully you won't just end up spinning your machine around on the counter like I did.
LMWDP #641