Izzo Alex Leva - Dosing, baskets, accessories and springs - Page 14

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime

#131: Post by espressotime »

rmofsen wrote:Hi all,
I found this on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087C ... UTF8&psc=1)and received it today. It's a bit pricey and requires a small amount of filing but fits perfectly.
Great find. I'll keep using my PVC part.Still have one meter left.

drH

#132: Post by drH »

espressotime wrote:The piston rod wants to move from front to back by each pull. You can see in my video my it is actually doing that.Hence the knock you hear and the movement you see in the video.
video
The piston 6 inches down in the group isn't you regular piston with three seals.Only a teflon ring of app. 3 mm wide makes contact with the piston wall .Of course the one seal also but that thing is flexible.
Vilt = felt

Also that felt seal is a big thing.

Once that isn't installed you create a lot of movement in the top.And with each pull the piston rod is wearing that piston tube in the upper housing down.
And the force it does that with is high.
Now take into account that I also do heat up pulls and cleaning pulls.
In 8 years that makes 8x356 x45 = almost 130000 scraping movements of the rod against that tube. That will wear that thing down.
I once destroyed a big end bearing of my old harley in 20 seconds of idling without any oil flow from the tank.
That thing idles at 900 rpm. That bearing was shot.
Metal on metal without any kind of lubrication is killing.

So how long will that felt piece last? Won't it need regular replacement?

Poor Cremina goes back on the shelf?

Advertisement
espressotime

#133: Post by espressotime »

drH wrote: So how long will that felt piece last? Won't it need regular replacement?

Poor Cremina goes back on the shelf?
I don't know. In my group it was missing and has been missing at least for the 8 years I have used the machine.

Cremina has to go indeed.Not because of anything badabout the machine. It's 10 times better looking than anything out there and the espresso is superb.
But the routine it takes to make great coffee isn't my cup of tea.

Pretty enough for the living room.

drH

#134: Post by drH replying to espressotime »

I agree the Olympia machines are gorgeous. So compact and functional. But the big spring levers have their conveniences and stability for sure. I'm aiming for the Izzo leva one day.

silkypull

#135: Post by silkypull replying to drH »

4 months ago being sheltered in place, i caught the lever bug bad... i needed something quiet that won't wake up the kiddos so i can actually have a nice cup before my morning ride. but my BBE isn't all that quiet. so in chatting with some friends, with COVID still around, that someday is NOW! i chuckled.. but that thought was lurking in the back of my mind. towards mid June, with my 45th bday around the corner in July.. pulled the trigger on 7/1 for the leva... now just waiting for delivery... hopefully coming next week.

so long story short.. if you feel the itch, scratch it hard...
LMWDP #663

drH

#136: Post by drH replying to silkypull »

Did you order from Chris Coffee? I know 1st Line also carries the Valexia Leva version. The bug has got me too.

silkypull

#137: Post by silkypull »

no.. i ordered mine fro espressocoffeeshop.com as recommended by other HB members. ECS had to order it Izzo as they don't keep it in stock, so that's why it took a month lead-time. import duty i just paid was about $127.91... now just waiting for delivery.
LMWDP #663

Advertisement
drH

#138: Post by drH replying to silkypull »

Good luck. Please keep us updated in your experience!

silkypull

#139: Post by silkypull »

yup yup.. for sure. hopefully it'll arrive next week.
LMWDP #663

Espresso_Monkey (original poster)

#140: Post by Espresso_Monkey (original poster) »

Congrats!
The wait will be torture :lol: