Is this the original Pavoni color?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Pudding Guy

#1: Post by Pudding Guy »

I recently purchased a Pavoni Professional circa 1978 with a blue base. It's got some rust, and it looks to me like it's been repainted previously, but I can't tell if the original paint was a different color. I presume it was originally this same color and a previous owner repainted to match it. I see some overspray on the heating element for instance. Can anyone confirm that La Pavoni sold one in this color? I'm thinking of getting it powder coated and I'll pick that color if original. Any help is greatly appreciated.

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

Edited.

See post #5
LMWDP #592

Pudding Guy (original poster)

#3: Post by Pudding Guy (original poster) »

Thanks LObin for your reply. Looking at that reference, it looks to be a version 2.0 with some modifications. The switch and pressure stat look the same, though the connection from the heating element to the pressure stat is different. Instead of having the tube connect in the middle of the heating element, it's connected off-center and the center hole is closed off with a nut. Any ideas what's going on there? The attachment to the pressure stat tube is a grounding connector. This has me a bit worried wondering why this would have been necessary.

Back to the color question, the reference 2.0 is red, so I though blue might also have been a possibility. But if no one can confirm this, I can update with something closer to one of the originals.

Jonk

#4: Post by Jonk »

I'm betting that's not the original color. Perhaps someone didn't like the vintage orange/brown? :D

LObin

#5: Post by LObin »

Pudding Guy wrote:Thanks LObin for your reply. Looking at that reference, it looks to be a version 2.0 with some modifications. The switch and pressure stat look the same, though the connection from the heating element to the pressure stat is different. Instead of having the tube connect in the middle of the heating element, it's connected off-center and the center hole is closed off with a nut. Any ideas what's going on there? The attachment to the pressure stat tube is a grounding connector. This has me a bit worried wondering why this would have been necessary.

Back to the color question, the reference 2.0 is red, so I though blue might also have been a possibility. But if no one can confirm this, I can update with something closer to one of the originals.

Wow... I guess I was really tired this morning cause I missed that it was a professional! Even though it's obvious from the pictures and that it's mentioned in the first sentence of the original post! :lol:

So here's the correct link that you probably already found, for future reference:
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_pr_eng.htm

As you wrote, the pstat pipe position on the screw on HE is different on your model. The ON/OFF switch and the boiler diameter correspond to the 2.0 version, indeed.

Maybe try sending an email to Francesco Ceccarelli to get his opinion?

Sorry again for the early, pre-coffee confusion!
LMWDP #592

#6: Post by Pudding Guy (original poster) »

The reference was super helpful, LObin. Much appreciated. I'm debating how much effort to put into this one. I was sort of hoping I'd found a rare one. I'm expecting it'll be a challenge for me to disassemble the base for powder coating, and, thus far, I haven't found it's performance to be great relative to my original Europiccola from 1992. For making my two drinks in the morning, I've really got that old one dialed in. This one has to be bled off to account for the false pressure issue, and I think the pstat may be partially blocked or faulty because the pressure drops off after a bit, and the steam pressure isn't great at any time.

LObin

#7: Post by LObin »

You need a custom tool to remove the heating element. You can always make your own.

You can always paint the base without removing the boiler but it's not the best way to go about it.

The pressure gauge is not resting at 0 anymore. Gives a false reading. It can be either be fixed (easily done) or replaced.

The pressurestat seems to be original. That's quite remarkable! However, it seems like it's long over due. A new pstat isn't that expensive. You also need a safety thermostat and new wiring.

You can install a new style safety valve that doubles as a vaccum breaker. The whole assembly (except for the pipe) needs to be changed though.

For the steam power, fixing the gauge and pstat should help you set the boiler to a better operating pressure. There is however a pstat bypass mod that you can do that allows you the turn the HE on until it reaches your desired steam pressure, allowing for excellent steam power while setting the pstat low to compensate for the hot running gen 2 group.

Here's my modified Professional with the pstat bypass mod (amongst a few other) in action:
You did find a special one. Maybe not in functions but the fact that your exact model is not on Francesco's website... That makes it special!

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

#8: Post by Pudding Guy (original poster) »

Having an older Europiccola with the two switches and no pstat had me wondering if a bypass was possible. Great to see that some have done this. That technical paper on conversion is impressive!

kalo925

#9: Post by kalo925 »

I saw this one listed in Santa Cruz. I thought I saw a tad bit of orange peeking through a scratch on the front in one of the photos. Do you see any hint of orange anywhere?

#10: Post by Pudding Guy (original poster) »

Yes, that's the one. I see hints of orange in places, but I when I lightly scratch away the paint on the underside, it looks like it might have been brown. I'm going to remove the boiler soon that that may reveal more. I removed the pstat yesterday, and it was indeed pretty gunky. Another question for you all: why does the replacement from Stefano (https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... -la-pavoni) cost so much more than this one from the Espresso Shop (https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/us ... xEQAvD_BwE). Which is recommended for my replacement?